PDA

View Full Version : grinding noise?

DONKEYT5
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 20:27
Hi all, i have noticed a slight grinding/rubbing noise from my front left side of the car when i drive, and it seems to get louder as i increase my speed. There are no other noises, wobbles etc from the car, and no other issues i can think of.
Im wondering whether its a bearing thats has gone?
Any ideas??
Thanx in advance, Don

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:20
I have a wheel bearing gone on 2 of mine and have the same symptoms

x

DONKEYT5
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:22
are they pricey?? to be honest it should be covered under my warranty, as i have only had her a month or so, just curious to price really!

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 21:25
GFS and Euro car parts do the classic 70's for about 70 quid, not sure about the later ones tho. Is there any play in the wheel if you jack it up?

x

DONKEYT5
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 22:00
to be honest, i aint tried, it hasnt stopped raining for a week, so im gonna give it a go, over the weekend hopefully!

Rufe
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 22:20
just to let you know, hubs from the dealers (bearings not available seperately) are about £140 plus the vat if i remember right, and are quite a common occurence really. later ones are differnt to the early ones (850 and V70 up to 98 all the same, classic/c70 99> are different to those, but same price, and new shape P2 V70's are different again, but same price as above)

Baj
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 23:17
I would have thought you would be able to feel it if it was a bearing.
Hold the tyre and give it a good hard wobble.

I had a stone stuck behind the brake pad once. Made a nasty noise

nurvware
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 10:56
DON-T5 "grinding noise"

Looking at your sig, i'm guessing you've got an ex plod? I also have an ex plod that also makes a rubbing noise when on full lock, either left or right.

I have read in a car mechanics mag, a *70 owner with the same problem. this was due to the wrong type of tyres fitted. although they where identical in size and speed rating, but not the same brand as fitted when new. By replacing them with the ones listed in the service manual, this solved the problem.

I have just bought a *70 owners manual on ebay, but not yet checked what tyres they recommend.

I will try to dig out the mag and check what it says.