PDA

View Full Version : Possible silly Question - advice please

Jaseb77
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 13:18
I have recently had my Volvo C70 setup with RICA 310 map.

It is time for my 80K service which includes timing belt changes etc.

If this is done at a Volvo Dealer will the do owt to my Map, i.e. reset it back to normal ??

Do I pre warn them about the RICA ECU upgrade ?

Also any ideas what this normally costs for 98R C70 T5 auto 80K service ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

volvotuning
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 13:20
On a 1998 R reg C70 T5 they cannot reprogram the ECU. So you don't need to worry!

Adam.

Rufe
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 13:59
what about ME7's adam? also out of curiousity?

volvotuning
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 14:04
ME7 can always be overwritten by a dealer because ME7 is OBDII reprogrammable. If you try and block an ME7 ECU from dealer programming and your dealer tries to program it, you will end up with a paperweight on 4 wheels. Therefore, the ME7 ECU must always be left 100% service complaint after an upgrade.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 14:10
100% service complaint

I complain all the bl**dy time for all good it does me LOL :haha:

BrightonBreezy
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 14:48
ME7 can always be overwritten by a dealer...

What happens if it is? Even by accident.
Can the Rica upgrade be reinstalled from a backup copy? Like software on my PC if accidently delete it.

Or does the unlucky punter have to buy the Rica upgrade all over again?

Azza
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 14:57
Yeah, you say it has to be left "service compliant" which is presumably a standard you guys adhere to, but should a dealer be pre-warned, and as said above, can they actually wipe out the RICA-tune, just like any other piece of software, and if so, what happens, are you back to the drawing board and £500ish out of pocket ?

Azza

volvotuning
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:00
If anyone loses their RICA upgrade through a dealer reprogram for example, then we simply reprogram the ECU again with the RICA software free of charge.

Adam.

Azza
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:02
Ahh, so presumably there is a concept of having "backups"...

But......should you tell them before or not :)

Azza

volvotuning
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:04
Ahh, so presumably there is a concept of having "backups"...

But......should you tell them before or not :)

Azza

It's entirely up to you. If you tell them specifically not to, then they won't. if they do, then it's not a problem because we can upgrade the latest version installed by your dealer, so the concept of a backup is not really an issue either.

Adam.

Azza
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:07
OK, i know there may well be an exhaustive list, but why say would a dealer reprogram it in the first place ? Presumably this is not a common thing to do ?

So i'm presuming there's a set piece of software that is loaded onto set models/years of car ?

Azza

volvotuning
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:12
OK, i know there may well be an exhaustive list, but why say would a dealer reprogram it in the first place ? Presumably this is not a common thing to do ?

So i'm presuming there's a set piece of software that is loaded onto set models/years of car ?

Azza

two examples for you -

C70 T5 Cold start running issues - there is a software fix for this.
New S40 2.0D EGR problem - there are about 6 billion software fixes.

Generally the newer cars get the updates when known problems occur. It's highly unlikely that say a 2001 C70 T5 will get an ECM reload, especially since the dealer has to pay for it.

To give you an idea, in 4 years this has only been an issue on 3 cars.

Adam.

Azza
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:23
Thanks, that's a fairly comprehensive assessment, and as you state, not that common an occurrence!

Azza