PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension Clonking

rgracin
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 09:17
My 2001 P2 V70 T5 has started to clonk at the front end. It's done 93k. It is coming from both sides, and first thoughts are new lower arms needed, but before I jack up and have a look, is there a common fault other than the arm bushes? Is it more likely to be something cheaper such as drop links?

Just hoping I guess!!

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 09:19
Top mounts and/or top mount bearings would be my first guess

rgracin
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:01
Thanks, How is it best to tell if these are worn?

It sounds like it's coming from underneath though. The sound seems to travel through the floor pan.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:09
Difficult to diagnose a noise via the interweb. Sound may well come through the floor but this might mean that it originates anywhere/

How best to tell if the bits are worn. IMHO take them apart and look/feel.

ade74uk
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:09
I get exactley the same noise (V70 t5 Phase 2) worse when its wet for some reason.????.

Also clonks when you go over speed humps, but very hit and miss.

Just passed its MOT so nothing to serious I hope. Im not much help but will monitor this thread,

Just on another note, i would like to thank everyone on this forum for saving me tousands and just beeing jolly nice.

Cheers

jimmyc
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:19
hi ive got a knocking which appears to be from front then rear????? butreally hard to tell,took it to mot station, has i know him and he said same, nothing to worry about and couldnt find anything wrong or worn??strange cars these volvos lol

rgracin
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:40
I get exactley the same noise (V70 t5 Phase 2) worse when its wet for some reason.????.

Just passed its MOT so nothing to serious I hope. Im not much help but will monitor this thread,

Just on another note, i would like to thank everyone on this forum for saving me tousands and just beeing jolly nice.

Cheers

Sounds exactly the same, some days worse than others on the same journey. I'm thinking worn bushes as it's worse when the weather is cooler, (bushes expand slightly when warm maybe?)

My MOT is due, so wanted to sort it before it goes through, but may chance it. Still want to find out what it is though.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:57

Cheers
Yeah you're welcome - just a bit worried about the avatar? LOL - Blimey!

ade74uk
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 12:58
I love that man!!

Baj
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 15:03
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10240&highlight=fixed

Mine was a little extreme but sounds the same.

So mine is a P1 but I would still look at the topmount first. you will need to take the strut apart though. Go hire those spring compressors.

jim
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 16:00
either there was a recall on the lower arm links or bushes or something a few years ago just after I bought mine, or this was what they replaced while they were doing some other recall thing I'll dig it out and have a look.
________
EXTREME Q TEMPERATURE (http://www.vaporshop.com)

rgracin
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 16:56
That would be handy, Thanks.

blackbooty
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 22:22
Yeah you're welcome - just a bit worried about the avatar? LOL - Blimey!

beautiful WD.

rgracin
Friday 26th May 2006, 09:03
Had a look last night. When jacked up, and front wheels on, there is quite a bit of side to side play, and you can see the front lower arm bushes moving quite a bit. Therefore, I'm reckonng on the lower armd.

If it was top mounts, would the be play evident when checking like the above?

Baj
Friday 26th May 2006, 09:37
If the top was as gone as mine there would be play. If there is play in the lower then they will need replacing anyway. You can then see if that cures the problem