PDA

View Full Version : ?when The A/c Doesn't Work What S Wrong

rich850t5
Thursday 24th March 2005, 00:05
THE AIR CON IN MY CAR DOESN'T WORK AND I WAS WONDERING OTHER THAN REGASSING IS THERE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT? CHEERS RICH :thewave:

Matt30462
Thursday 24th March 2005, 00:18
Not sure what you drive but if it is an 850 you could be very unlucky like me and the evaporator may have gone. It's very common in 850's and very very expensive to fix as the entire dash has to come out. My fingers are crossed for you.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th March 2005, 01:30
(Matt - where have you been??)

Yes there is a risk that the evap has bitten the dust. Only way to tell is to get an A/C engineer to have a quick look.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 24th March 2005, 09:50
The pump could have gone.

(and to echo Dave - Matt where you been?? We missed you!)

x

rich850t5
Friday 8th April 2005, 20:48
Not sure what you drive but if it is an 850 you could be very unlucky like me and the evaporator may have gone. It's very common in 850's and very very expensive to fix as the entire dash has to come out. My fingers are crossed for you. :wavey: :mischievo IT'S ALL IN THE NAME :borg_ani:

JUDGENINJA
Friday 8th April 2005, 23:00
Has it completely gone...?

randomGuy's car A/C heater stopped working in his Nissan. Thing would fan would blow but had "now't comin' owt'"....Removed the pollen filter and found it completely blocked. Changed it and the thing was fine.....

Just a thought.....

M44K TS
Friday 8th April 2005, 23:48
my dads packed up last summer - how convenient! i thought it needed regassing but it turns out that the pump or some clutch was only engaging for 30 secs or so when the a/c switched was flicked

pyrotechnictigger
Friday 8th April 2005, 23:58
my dads packed up last summer - how convenient! i thought it needed regassing but it turns out that the pump or some clutch was only engaging for 30 secs or so when the a/c switched was flicked

Mine is similar. Runs for about 5 minutes REAL cold then just stops. If I turn off the switch, drive a few miles then turn it back on introduce it to 6500rpm, it comes back on again!

Weird
:insane:

farmermo
Saturday 9th April 2005, 06:51
when you switch the a/c on can you hear the engine load, if not it could mean either the compressor is not being engaged, or it is engaging and spinning freely which would indicate it's had it.
To check this, find the compressor on the engine, start the engine and the outside of the pulley should spin, turn on the a/c and the centre should spin aswell.

rich850t5
Saturday 9th April 2005, 09:10
when you switch the a/c on can you hear the engine load, if not it could mean either the compressor is not being engaged, or it is engaging and spinning freely which would indicate it's had it.
To check this, find the compressor on the engine, start the engine and the outside of the pulley should spin, turn on the a/c and the centre should spin aswell.this is the advice i was after and you are spot on the pump won't engage,i take it that when this happens the pump is knackered :Handshake :B_thumb:

farmermo
Saturday 9th April 2005, 09:40
it could be electrical, the pump is engaged by an electro magnet which engages when you switch the a/c on.
check fuses and wiring first, but I had the magnet fail on a tractor and it was available as a seperate part from the pump.
I used an a/c company rather than dealer as pattern parts cost a fraction of originals
hope this helps

andi t5
Saturday 9th April 2005, 18:49
the first thing you need to do is check for obvious leaks and get it regassed, until you know the system is full charged you cant trouble shoot properly, the compressor clutch for example will not engage unless it gets a good signal from the system pressure switch which if the system is low on refrigerant will clearly not happen

siamblue
Sunday 10th April 2005, 02:25
Mine does the same,Had it regassed last summer and it was only blowing cold for awhile then it went warm again,Will have a look tomorrow to see what is happening,Anyone know where i should be looking?

andi t5
Sunday 10th April 2005, 09:33
the system should have dye in it to help find leaks look at al the obvious connections pipes etc for signs of leakage (you will need the ultra violet light tester) if you cannot find any its possible none was put in at last charge or your evap is leaking which is comon on the 850 and early 70 anyone with a 850 should retro fit a filter kit it really helps evaporator life (and run the system every week even in winter to keep the seals lubed )if its your evap its a big job as the whole dash has to come out