PDA

View Full Version : ATF removal and refilling ?????

blackcurrantGLT
Monday 22nd May 2006, 20:00
Would any of you kind chaps out there have the procedure for the draining and refilling of the ATF in my 854 ? Also ........ does it have a kind of fluid filter as in Volkswagen auto boxes.
Any help would be gratefully recieved .
I wonder if anyone else has had this same problem . This morning I started my motor ....drove away from my house and it would not change up from 1st. I stopped the car ....selected neutral......... then reverse..... then drive ........... it then worked fine all day !!!!!!!!
I'm a bit concerned as I'm just about to do a long journey to Spain and don't fancy being stuck in France with a B***ered gearbox !!!

ANY IDEA'S ??????

ANDY

:) :) :) :Handshake :) :) :)

M44K TS
Monday 22nd May 2006, 21:30
Funny enough, mine started playing up a couple of weeks ago, lost all drive hen the fluid was hot. Had to stop for a while and let it cool, everythin seemed fine when it cooled. I'm hoping it's just a simple case of getting the fluid changed. Got mine booked in at Scott Bank Motors for Wednesday in Southwick.

Procedure is here, but seems too fidly for my liking, nd i know i'll spill it all over the drive.

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1449&NodeID=4549&RootID=629

Straker
Monday 22nd May 2006, 21:55
There are not filters on the autoboxex or rather there are but they are buried in the box itself and are not servicable. I've just been looking into this myself and you need ot buy Dexron III fluid, should need about 5-7 litres depending on how much comes out.

Good luck.:Handshake

siamblue
Monday 22nd May 2006, 21:57
Cheapest place i have found is Braydons £13 , to buy your fluid, looked everywhere on the net,

Gary.

iGGy
Monday 22nd May 2006, 22:20
£13 for how much? I've used these people previously http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=catalog&top=13 for Mobil ATF.

Tomcat
Monday 22nd May 2006, 22:28
I did mine, its not as fiddly as it looks. You wouldnt believe the colour of the stuff that comes out!.

M44K TS
Monday 22nd May 2006, 23:29
mine is almost black

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 08:53
The procedure requires about 15 litres of fluid to do properly - I've done it a few times now. It is quicker if you have a gimp/assistant to help turn the key.

Remove the battery and the battery tray. balance batttery on the side of the inner wing and reattach the terminals.
Once you've emptied as much out of the sump as poss and redone up the plug you'll need to flush/fill 1 -2 litres in and out of the box until it is coming out the same colour as it went in. You put it in the dipstick tube and let it come out through the return pipe - namely the M12 nut that is attached to the top of the box near the PNP switch. Use a funnel or an old redex bottle with the bottom cut off (blue peter styleee) to pour the new ATF in.
Turn the engine over and use a 2 litre coke bottle with the top cut off (coz it fits nicely in that area and stick the return pipe into the coke bottle. Alternatively you can fabricate a piece of pipe to fit on the end of the olive and have a drip tray underneath the car. Turn the engine on and collect the old fluid - about 2 litres
Flush/fill and repeat this process until the colours match. Reconnect the return pipe onto the box and fill the box to the correct level. Make sure you move the selector forwards and backwards (with the handbrake on) to ensure that the ATF reaches all parts of the box - recheck levels.

Job done

siamblue
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 16:41
£13 for how much? I've used these people previously http://www.oil-store.co.uk/?path=catalog&top=13 for Mobil ATF.

That is for 5ltrs of DEXRON III, £13 plus the vat, going to but 10ltrs tomorrow,

Gary.

Babybadger
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 19:12
Add this stuff first especially if the ATF looks dark.......

http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Automatic_transmission.htm ......call it insurance.

or

http://www.wynns.uk.com/contextra/TemplateParser.asp?sId=17&TopID=3

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 23rd May 2006, 22:49
Personally I would use the best you can afford. Last stuff I bought was 15 quid for 5 litres (comma I think) - Dextron III. Shell is really nice but quite pricy.

siamblue
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 15:28
Just come back from Braydons, and surprised to see it is Total's ATF, £15 a gallon inc,

Gary.

Engineer, i have now in my possesion a part for you.

Babybadger
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 15:38
Just come back from Braydons, and surprised to see it is Total's ATF, £15 a gallon inc,

Gary.

Engineer, i have now in my possesion a part for you.

Was the suprise pleasant or upsetting?

siamblue
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 17:19
Was the suprise pleasant or upsetting?

Surprised seeing it was bought from a Volvo dealer and it was Total at that price, i expected Cutprice sewing machine oil lol, Straker did you get yours sorted yet? oh by the way the clips for the hoses are £3.20 each inc,

Gary.

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 17:46
Would any of you kind chaps out there have the procedure for the draining and refilling of the ATF in my 854 ? Also ........ does it have a kind of fluid filter as in Volkswagen auto boxes.
Any help would be gratefully recieved .
I wonder if anyone else has had this same problem . This morning I started my motor ....drove away from my house and it would not change up from 1st. I stopped the car ....selected neutral......... then reverse..... then drive ........... it then worked fine all day !!!!!!!!
I'm a bit concerned as I'm just about to do a long journey to Spain and don't fancy being stuck in France with a B***ered gearbox !!!

ANY IDEA'S ??????

ANDY

:) :) :) :Handshake :) :) :)

if your going to do it mate, do as WD suggests, properly and use the best you can afford.

dont just drain and refill (7 litres) , flush the whole system (14-15 litres) ,
no point mixing old and new, you wouldnt do it with engine oil.

Babybadger
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 18:24
I would still run that conditioner in it first as it stops oxidising of the solenoid in the autobox. I think Mr. Wobbly knows more about this solenoid than I do , I am only a 2 spanner haynes man unless its your car , then it could be 3 or 4........

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 18:45
I would still run that conditioner in it first as it stops oxidising of the solenoid in the autobox. I think Mr. Wobbly knows more about this solenoid than I do , I am only a 2 spanner haynes man unless its your car , then it could be 3 or 4........

lol.

didnt realise that gear went in first... i presumed it was an additive to the box fluid.

blackbooty
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 18:50

its amazing how well informed you become when you read links that members have included in thier posts. lol

edit. i read your links i meant by that, i quoted wrong post.

siamblue
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 19:19
Wynns is a additive, whereas Forte is a flushing agent.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:28
I am not claiming to know it all - all I was saying was how one might flush the box. This conditioner thing was not something I had even considered

Babybadger
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:31
I am not claiming to know it all - all I was saying was how one might flush the box. This conditioner thing was not something I had even considered

Don't be shy Dave, we all know how good you are, and you must be a 5/6 spanner man! Don't take offence mate it's a compliment! You have givenm me valuable info that's help me sleep at night!

Babybadger
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:35
Wynns is a additive, whereas Forte is a flushing agent.

Many thanks for that, being a babybadger , I sometimes get confused.......I think either will help the longevity of the box.

I did post something about an additive on ebay a while ago , can I find it....can I F&(*!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th May 2006, 08:43
I have seen one S70 with an external ATF filter plumbed in-line on the outbound feed.

BTW I must get around to doing that how-2 on the additional ATF cooler. :slap:

siamblue
Thursday 25th May 2006, 19:44
Managed to get mine flushed today, I didn't use a additive, just 11 ltrs of fluid, the stuff that came out was rank, it had been in the car for 7 years and 90k, I will run the car for a couple of months now, then get it changed again,
Job is very easy but time consuming, most difficult part was undoing the 22mm nut on top of the box, as they tend to seize up, You will find it advantageous to get a drain tray and a 2 large containers to measure what you have taken out to match in clean oil going in.

Gary,

Engineer
Thursday 25th May 2006, 20:21
Managed to get mine flushed today, I didn't use a additive, just 11 ltrs of fluid, the stuff that came out was rank, it had been in the car for 7 years and 90k, I will run the car for a couple of months now, then get it changed again,
Job is very easy but time consuming, most difficult part was undoing the 22mm nut on top of the box, as they tend to seize up, You will find it advantageous to get a drain tray and a 2 large containers to measure what you have taken out to match in clean oil going in.

Gary,

Don't forget the cooler lol. :wink:

siamblue
Thursday 25th May 2006, 22:18
Don't forget the cooler lol. :wink:

yes the cooler looked very nice, shame about the wrong fitting kit being supplied, but at least it is on now,
Managed to get some more ATF tonight £7 for one litre of DEXRON III :sorry:

never mind all done now, thanks Gary ;)

Gary,

blackbooty
Thursday 25th May 2006, 22:33
yes the cooler looked very nice, shame about the wrong fitting kit being supplied, but at least it is on now,
Managed to get some more ATF tonight £7 for one litre of DEXRON III :sorry:

never mind all done now, thanks Gary ;)

Gary,

me too Gary, was gutted to pay that price when i only needed half a litre.

Babybadger
Friday 26th May 2006, 11:36

Gary,

If you are getting it flushed again in the future, just before add some of that stuff to the atf, as it helps remove the varnishing on one of the solenoids in the box. Apparently the varnishing is caused by oxidisation of the ATF. It won't hurt it and it apparently makes the gear changes smoother. I am going to do mine just before I have it re-flushed.

iGGy
Friday 26th May 2006, 14:30
I think it all depends where and what you read with the ATF flush. I've seen people claim that the flush has dislodged the varnish and that created the problem from that point forward. Personally I went with a straight fluid change.

siamblue
Friday 26th May 2006, 15:43
If you are getting it flushed again in the future, just before add some of that stuff to the atf, as it helps remove the varnishing on one of the solenoids in the box. Apparently the varnishing is caused by oxidisation of the ATF. It won't hurt it and it apparently makes the gear changes smoother. I am going to do mine just before I have it re-flushed.

Just to put another spanner in the works as to speak,
While i was sat in Braydons waiting for some parts, I saw Wynnes additive on the shelf (not for sale) , I asked how much, and he point blank said, " it is not for sale on its own, it's only for the workshop to use, he explained that it was used with the Wynnes machine, and all of the additive has to be removed, when it is used to clean the system,

Gary,

So i left it as it was and just flushed the ATF system,

NugentS
Sunday 28th May 2006, 10:24
I have seen one S70 with an external ATF filter plumbed in-line on the outbound feed.

BTW I must get around to doing that how-2 on the additional ATF cooler. :slap:

Mine?

Well you did it

Sean

blackcurrantGLT
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:24
Hey ! Thanks for all of the replies !!! I just got back from Spain and I'm really sorry for not replying to you all before now !!! I just bought 15 litres of Shell dexron III and I have my spanners poised at the ready to do the fluid change. Thanks for all of the well appointed advice . Isn't this a cool forum !
Thanks guys !!

ANDY

adriancole
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:48
Is this the same process for the 1999 V70 as well..as in how to change the ATF? Do they share the same autobox?

Many thanks
Adrian

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:50
Yep - they are all using the Aisin-Warner 50-42. Label is on the top near the PNP switch.

adriancole
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:52
Great, thanks for that, though what is a PNP switch? I take it is visible when you remove the battery and tray......

adrian

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th June 2006, 11:54
It's the selector switch on top of the gearbox

NugentS
Monday 5th June 2006, 21:17
There are not filters on the autoboxex or rather there are but they are buried in the box itself and are not servicable. I've just been looking into this myself and you need ot buy Dexron III fluid, should need about 5-7 litres depending on how much comes out.

Good luck.:Handshake
I have an external filter on mine - IPD in the states do em so I bought one - liked it and bought a few direct from the manufacturer. Easy fit - and they seem to do the job...

Sean