PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice on V70 AWD

Chesh740R
Monday 22nd May 2006, 13:32
Hi guy's hoping you can help me out with some pointers, as i'm not that up to speed on the newer volvo's.

A friend of mine is after a V70/850 Estate and his aspirations are Max £5k to spend, FSH, prefably a Manual and somewhere under 100k in mileage(allthough mileage is negotiable).

Looking around he's come across a car local to him (8miles away which is nice as it saves travelling) which is and i'll copy and paste the details, i've searched as well but havent really found anything that meets his critera.

1998 S Reg VOLVO V70 AWD 5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 91,000 miles, Metallic Green, 2 Owners. 7 SEATS, ABS, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Folding rear seats, Heated seats, Immobiliser, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Roof rails, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, full black leather, memory seats, CD, Sunroof, Wood/wood effect trim. £4,495

Now running the number plate through some insurance databases, confirms its a V70 XC Lux 20V model.

My concerns are mainly to do with the AWD system, i've done some reading and there have been mentions of transfer box failures. For my friends sake and his wallet i'd prefer he'd just have a simplistic 2wd car.
But what are the exact causes for the system failing?? Is it more likely on the R spec cars and the power being two much for the system.

He will probably use the car to tow his Rally Car and i'm wondering will AWD system cope with the stress.

Other than that, when should the cambelt be changed on the 5 pot engines??

Does the above car sound right for the money?? It seems about right compared to trade guides and being that its a dealer selling it.

Or have you any suggestions from your browsing of cars for sale that might fit the bill for him.

Chesh740R
Monday 22nd May 2006, 18:08
Don't worry, after doing research, i've told him not to bother so were just looking for 2wd versions now.