PDA

View Full Version : Power cable to boot

SaffronC70
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 20:55
Hi there

Has anyone tried running powercable from the battery to the boot for a subwoofer on a C70 ?

Is there access to the boot area from the rear bench seats ?

Or am I gonna be going alone again with this one ?

Cheers

Chris

fraz13
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 21:49
If ye remove the bottom part of yer rear seat am sure ther'll be somewhere to stick a cable :B_thumb:

Ian C70T5
Thursday 24th March 2005, 09:33
There is mate.. as you look at the seats lift the bottom bench up and on each outside edge of the bench in the corner behind the seatbelt clip bits between the bench and the side trim there is a small hole that goes into the boot. It comes out under the black plastic cover under the boot carpet at the back of the boot.

I have RCA's down one side and remote/power down the other side

fraz13
Thursday 24th March 2005, 10:05
Exellent :) glad ye got it sorted

SaffronC70
Thursday 24th March 2005, 19:14
I've cocked up as it were.

I cut off the original battery clamps, not realising that they are tapered - covered in copper grease after service so I didn't see !

Anyhows, the new termial clamps I have do fit, but they are not 100% secure.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Chris

mulletboy2
Thursday 24th March 2005, 19:19
Battery terminals are usually tapered a little, IIRC. Are you sure you have a negative and a positive clamp? The one is smaller than the other (IIRC, the negative is smaller), so if you connect them to the wrong terminal, they will seem loose.

As for running power, speaker and RCA cables seperately - this is a BIG myth. It's completely unnecessary. The cause of alternator whine, 9 times out of 10, is a bad earth. Running the cables together will help to highlight that you have a bad earth, and seperating them will help to disguise it (until the point you either get sparks and a bang, or the connection fails altogether). Don't forget that ALL cables in your car are running parallel to an earth anyway - the chasis. Why use a "band aid" when you could just fix the problem properly? :)

HTH

Mark

SaffronC70
Thursday 24th March 2005, 19:46
I've run all the cables, was easier than I thought.

The clamps are the right size, guess I'll let the terminal heat/cool a few times and gradually tap the terminals home. I've got the bonnet open every other day, lol, so will quickly see if they come loose !

Chris