PDA

View Full Version : First little mod to the C70

Rufe
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:32
got myself a Kenwood DVD touch screen head unit, and then had it fitted today at the local sextons car audio centre.

glad i opted for them to do it, as it took them just over 4 hours in the end, and that was with 2 of them for a lot of that time... but in fairness they only charged me £30 all in to fit it, so well worth the investment i think, as they have now done a really tidy job.

anyway heres a couple of pics of the mobile phone, so not great, but you can see it. also, as you can see in the pics, i have the volvo 8 disk cd holder to fill the extra slot, which looks better than a cubby hole, and practical too.

screen down:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/radio1.jpg

screen up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/radio2.jpg

im very happy with it, except for one thing, they seem to have now bypassed the dolby speaker up on the dash. the sound quality is very good, but not quite as good as before i dont think, though its hard to tell to be honest. will be talking to them again to see if they can incorporate the dolby front speaker into the set up, even if it means paying for it to be done, as i dont expect them to do it for free. picture quality is really good too, and the unit has loads of features, more than i will ever need lol :D

Vikingxl
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:33
Very nice!

splatt
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:34
That looks good, I like the Kenwood stuff...
4 hours for £30...result :)

bubba_1986
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:42
Lks gd mate, i was thinking of chaning head unit, got the sc901 in ma c70. This is due to not being able to play copies, but in end bought 30gb ipod, gonna get adapater so can plug into cd changer input.

Sound quality is unbleavible for standard so in end will remain stock

But a big thumbs up from me anyhoo

Bubba :biggrin:

Rufe
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:44
yes one bloke quoted me £30, then when i got there a different fella said they did a C70 a few months back which took them 4 hours.

full spec of the unit:

KVT-627DVD main features:
7 inch widescreen TFT colour active matrix display
New fully-automatic 'Z-Action' open / close mechanism
Interactive touch panel control with OSD (on screen display)
DVD disc menu direct-touch operation (with highlight-control mode)
FM / MW / LW radio tuner with 24 station memory presets
Maximum output power 50W x 4 (MOSFET power IC)
Three preamp outputs with 5 volt level (front / rear / subwoofer)
One RCA AV output (PAL or NTSC, according to source)
One RCA AV input (PAL / NTSC auto selection)
One RCA video input with mirror mode function for rear view camera
System Es+ tone control
System Q sound preset system
Installer and backup memories for audio and video settings
DVD video playback
DVD+ / DVD- R/RW compatible (video format only)
WMA / MP3 decoder for compressed audio files. ID-3 tag display
MPEG 1/ 2 video file (.mpg and .jpg) playback
Removable front panel section and four digit security code to deter theft
Complete with full fitting and operating guide

most of that is a bit double dutch to an ICE novice like me, but it plays dvds and is touchscreen, and sounds good too, thats the good bit.

so can anyone decipher the above spec and see if theres any reason that the Dolby processor cant be used, or has anyone else experienced similar and found a way around it, or been told its not possible? (possibly connecting the speaker up as a sub perhaps? im no expert at this sort of thing lol)

Rufe
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:45
Lks gd mate, i was thinking of chaning head unit, got the sc901 in ma c70. This is due to not being able to play copies, but in end bought 30gb ipod, gonna get adapater so can plug into cd changer input.

Sound quality is unbleavible for standard so in end will remain stock

But a big thumbs up from me anyhoo

Bubba :biggrin:
that was the single biggest reason i wanted to change it, not being able to play copies. that did my head right in for one weekm and had to resort to playing cd's i bought around 5 or 6 years ago lol

bubba_1986
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:54
that was the single biggest reason i wanted to change it, not being able to play copies. that did my head right in for one weekm and had to resort to playing cd's i bought around 5 or 6 years ago lol

Yeah i had thought about chaing but to use standar am u need a conversion cable, then cable to convert main cables going into unit into iso fit.

This isn't hard jst annoying trying to get everthing off one place, and would of came to more money thn what ipod and adapter was.

To question about dolby speaker

I very much doubt u will be able to use the speaker as a " dolby " centre speaker, Unless ur headunit has a dolby processor. It would be possibly for u to use this speaker as a sub but for this u would have to run a seprate amp from ur sub pre out at back of headunit.

Personal i dont have middle dolby speaker as i dont have gt spec, and sound is still amazing, think you will get used to it mate

Bubba :)

Azza
Saturday 20th May 2006, 20:57
The SC901 does play copies, it's just that you have to find 650mb CDR's, which ain't that easy any more!

Azza

bubba_1986
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:00
The SC901 does play copies, it's just that you have to find 650mb CDR's, which ain't that easy any more!

Azza

Yeah i had read up about tht afteri bought ipod lol, the trouble u would have to go2 isn't worth it though.

Still always good to keep in mind if come across them can burn some music

Bubba

Azza
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:02
I had a Zen micro (which i got long before my motor) and wanted a way to hook it all up, as as you say, it was quite annoying having to find the 650's to burn on.

I opted for the Belkin Tunecast II in the end, and i'm not disappointed in the slightest, it really does work very well indeed.

Azza

Baj
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:05
If the headunit doesnt support dolby then it wont output in Dolby.

5.1 has Front L & R and Rear L&R plus a centre. Most headunits will have F L&R and R L&R outputs only.
You may be able to get a seperate dolby processor but I have not seen one.
Very few cars have a centre speaker so chances are you will have to live without.

My tip: Remove rear speakers.
Add Sub in boot.
Add Amp for sub and another for front mids (optional).

Mine sounded pretty flat when I got it. Took it to a mate that builds competition stereos. (First thing he said when he got in was that one of the tweeters was blown, something I couldnt hear)
He tweaked the buttons and it sounds awesome now.

Do you have a thing that pops up saying you cant view movies while moving?
It might be a wire connected to a wire on the handbrake which earths when the handbrake is on.
Removing it is highly illegal but makes the traffic queues on the way to work far more bareable ;)

You will get annoyed at the screen covering the A/C controls tho :)

bubba_1986
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:06
I had a Zen micro (which i got long before my motor) and wanted a way to hook it all up, as as you say, it was quite annoying having to find the 650's to burn on.

I opted for the Belkin Tunecast II in the end, and i'm not disappointed in the slightest, it really does work very well indeed.

Azza

Ave found a adapter tht doesn't use radio waves, plugs into cd changer port, but have to order from US
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=791

Just incase ur intresed, means better sound quality and then can have aerial down whill cd6 selected on unit

Bubba

bubba_1986
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:07
Ave found a adapter tht doesn't use radio waves, plugs into cd changer port, but have to order from US
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=791

Just incase ur intresed, means better sound quality and then can have aerial down whill cd6 selected on unit

Bubba

Just forgot to say tht link is wrong but tey provide a adaptor tht has phono jack instead of ipod

Bubba

Rufe
Saturday 20th May 2006, 21:15
If the headunit doesnt support dolby then it wont output in Dolby.

5.1 has Front L & R and Rear L&R plus a centre. Most headunits will have F L&R and R L&R outputs only.
You may be able to get a seperate dolby processor but I have not seen one.
Very few cars have a centre speaker so chances are you will have to live without.

My tip: Remove rear speakers.
Add Sub in boot.
Add Amp for sub and another for front mids (optional).

Mine sounded pretty flat when I got it. Took it to a mate that builds competition stereos. (First thing he said when he got in was that one of the tweeters was blown, something I couldnt hear)
He tweaked the buttons and it sounds awesome now.

Do you have a thing that pops up saying you cant view movies while moving?
It might be a wire connected to a wire on the handbrake which earths when the handbrake is on.
Removing it is highly illegal but makes the traffic queues on the way to work far more bareable ;)

You will get annoyed at the screen covering the A/C controls tho :)

thanks for the reply.

i asked for them to fit it so i could watch it while moving, and they said they would have done that anyway as standard, even if i hadnt asked lol.

the sound did sound very flat at first, but after a good 10 minutes or so of playing and adjusting the settings, got it to sound a whole world better.

as for the recomended set up, i may go down that line, but not sure. the sound quality is very good indeed, just maybe not quite as surround sound as it was, but thats to be expected if its not using the built in dolby processor. the sound quality before was 'effin awesome', now its simply 'awesome'. bass lines still go very deep, and the whole range is very good.

and finally no, i thought hard about where to put the head unit (top or bottom slot) for a good while, and after changing my mind once, i ended up deciding on the top slot, knowing full well it would block the heater controls, but thought it would simply look better in the top slot, rather than lower down one.

t5 stealth
Saturday 20th May 2006, 22:10
nice unit,
i got the 725 kenwood in mine,
10 disc changer on it & a playstation 2 & a rear camera,
having the large screen opens ur options up to loads of things,
u got a good buy there

c70mel
Sunday 21st May 2006, 10:25
Looking good mate.... I have combated the problem of covering the heating controls by placing my motorized screen in another place :D

Also I got a Blitzsafe AUX input adapter shipped over from the US to get my carpc working through the standard head unit. Works brilliantly!

Rufe
Sunday 21st May 2006, 10:45
the heater control blocking is not a big deal at all with this unit i got to say.

the 'Z' action of the monitor is different to the actions of most screens i have seen, and with the Z action, you can easily move the whole screen forward about 4 inches from the dash, while its still up, enough room to be able to mess with the controls.

i like the sound of some of these add ons too. i originally bought my PS2 to put in my last car, but never ended up doing it, so that may be an option to re-consider now i have a tidy screen.