PDA

View Full Version : creaking noise

pdwb
Saturday 20th May 2006, 18:47
any ideas guys, my S60 T5 has only just started to make this noise but its when i turn the steering wheel, i get a notchy creaking noise like a dry joint or something, it happens from lock to lock. i am worried its major and i need to drive to south wales and back tomorrow........ its not the norm noise we have all talked about from the front end but a defo creaking and it happens in a notchy fashion so that you can find a point on the turn of the wheel that means if you rock the steering wheel back and forth it goes eak...eak......... worried steering rake may have developed a major fault

T5ER
Saturday 20th May 2006, 18:49
could be the pump,front suspension,steering stops does it do it if you hold the revs at about 1500rpm then turn the wheel

pdwb
Saturday 20th May 2006, 18:54
havent tried holding revs yet........... it feels like its a rachet on the rack as you turn the wheel a little too.....

pdwb
Saturday 20th May 2006, 18:59
ok, tried the revs held at 1500, makes no diff what so ever, feels and sounds like dry joints of somekind

T5ER
Saturday 20th May 2006, 19:02
now not being funny here but mine did this and it was a little low on fluid because the rack boots were split and the rack was leaking a bit of fluid but all sorted now

pdwb
Saturday 20th May 2006, 19:03
i have had a lok in the res bottle and it is half full so its not run out and i wouldnt have thought the res bottle being a little low would affect it !!!!!!!!!!

T5ER
Saturday 20th May 2006, 19:05
now i am strugling mate guess its a case of get under neath and have a buthcers

pdwb
Saturday 20th May 2006, 19:10
i think you may be on to something, even though it looked half full it wasnt even showing on the res bottle dipstick and as there are 2 diff limit markers i guess when its running it sucks whats in that bottle down and maybe your right about this. am nipping to garage 2 mins away to get some steering fluid and top her up

pdwb
Saturday 20th May 2006, 19:51
that seems to have done it, topped it up and the noise has gone by 75% and a call to a mate confirms that i need to turn lock to lock 50 times and this is more than enough to pump any air out the system

T5ER
Saturday 20th May 2006, 19:54
excellent glad its done the trick for you, mine had me baffled for about a hour till i looked at the resevoir and noticed it was low