PDA

View Full Version : Nearly there ...... cant wait.

st1t5
Saturday 20th May 2006, 06:13
Hi all,

The C70 T5 that im planning has still not been sold so i hopefully will be travelling down from Scotland to view it and take it on a test drive next week as i get back home on Monday,

Is there any weak spots on the C70 that i should look out for when checking it over ? .... brakes ? ... ???????

What rpm range should i feel the turbo boosting up and i take it will notice ?
lol :)

What milage should the major service and timing belt be done at ?

This has been the longest 2 week shift i have done and ofcourse this weekend is just dragging :( ........ iv just been waiting for an email from the seller saying that he has sold it but so far he still has it lol ... i think he is being pretty firm with his price which is putting people off but im ok with that as its the exact one im after :)

Thanks for all the help and advice, its much appriciated ;)

Rufe
Saturday 20th May 2006, 07:20
make sure that when you switch the ignition on the mangement light comes on, and then go's off when started up. (it WILL come on to show its working before engine is started). when you drive it, make sure it idles fine, and no hunting of the revs, which will be a good indication that the ETM is on its last legs. this only applies to 1999 on, cars with the ME7 ignition (though some cars registered in 1998 can also be 1999 spec with this ME7 ignition).

another thing you want to check is the window regulators. these are very expensive to replace when they go, so make sure they are working, if not expect a big bill to sort them. also check all door locks and boot lock to be working, as these cost around £100 each if they go, and were fairly common items to be changed at one time accross the range. if your planning on keeping the head unit in there you should also check its working correctly too, not just the radio, but the cd player. as for the mileage, well thats debateable, personally i wouldnt be bothered about a 100k car as long as there was a solid history with it, so look to see the service history of the car, oh yeah and dont forget to do a HPI check before you make the trip too. you will certainly notice the turbo coming in if you floor it, as you go through warp factor 9, though if you drive it 'nicely', you wont really notice it coming in, though you will sense it wanting to go faster, lol. carry out the usual checks you would make when buying a car, looking to see if theres unhealthy smoke from the exhaust, etc. not sure if there is one before off the top of my head, but timing belt will be needed to be done at 110,000 miles (theres possibly one at 60,000 miles, though im really not sure right now)

i had to wait for about 2 weeks until i could go and get the c70 i bought, and that was the longest 2 weeks ever too, couldnt wait to get it :D

hope its a good one, have fun mate.

Vikingxl
Saturday 20th May 2006, 10:12
Good luck!

st1t5
Sunday 21st May 2006, 00:40
Thanks for that Rufe, thats great ;)

The model im hoping to go and see is a very late 1998 model with ETM, the owner has said that the 3 cd deck in the dash does jump going over bumps but the 6 disc system in the boot is perfect, he has also admitted that the last service picked up that she had a slight lumpy idle and that the ETM would need looked at in the future but this could be a good haggling point for me,

Does anybody know who is the best company to get an HPI check through ??

siamblue
Sunday 21st May 2006, 01:45
Hi Good luck on your car, I went through the RAC, both times recently whilst looking for a car, will cost you £25, have a look on thier site,

regards Gary.

siamblue
Sunday 21st May 2006, 01:50
Here you go,

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_status_checks;jsessionid=3297CE05BD140EE25 707E750B8412AA5

Gary.

Rufe
Sunday 21st May 2006, 11:00
Thanks for that Rufe, thats great ;)

The model im hoping to go and see is a very late 1998 model with ETM, the owner has said that the 3 cd deck in the dash does jump going over bumps but the 6 disc system in the boot is perfect, he has also admitted that the last service picked up that she had a slight lumpy idle and that the ETM would need looked at in the future but this could be a good haggling point for me,

Does anybody know who is the best company to get an HPI check through ??
that means its a 99 model in volvo's eyes, on all their records, including in the cars chassis number, it will state 1999

st1t5
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:20
At last .......... im flying down tommorrow morning from Glasgow to London to look at the car and if its as the seller says and a good deal is struck then i'll be driving back up to Scotland in "MY" C70 T5 GT ...... :) :) :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:25
Dont worry too much about stuff - I have a garage full of bits including both window regs.

st1t5
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:30
Cheers Dave, much appriciated ;)

Its gonna be wierd driving another car other than a Renault as its only Renaults iv driven for the last 12 years, still keeping my 21t though but with having the Volvo it means i can spend more time working on the 21t.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:31
Good luck!! Fingers crossed she's a good one!

x

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 20:33
:stupid:

We are here to help - so if you have any issues then let us know. I kinda know these babies quite well having taken one apart.

Rufe
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 22:47
handy knowing where to look when a window reg gives up... they are bound to at some point, and not cheap from the dealer *gulp*

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 25th May 2006, 08:36
First come first served.