PDA

View Full Version : 850 R vs c70 t5

fireplums
Thursday 18th May 2006, 10:42
How does the performance of the C70 t5 compare to a 850R ?
I'm seeing some amazingly good deals on C70's at the moment, seems you can get a relativley newish C70 for the price of some of the better 850R estates.

fraz13
Thursday 18th May 2006, 11:01
The 70 series is not meant to be as raw as the 850 but same power so it will only be a smoother power delivery

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 18th May 2006, 11:28
Both cars are built on the same floor pan. Dimensions wise they are identical. I am for this discussion assuming we are not talking about the C70 cabrio.

Power
Having owned both I'd have to say yeah the 850R is a special car but the C70 T5 is better, particularly with the ME7 engine. The VVT gives the car better econ and better throttle response though the engine note is quieter due to improve sound insulation. The ME7 is stronger and can be tuned harder without changing the internals.

Practicality
The 855R beats the C70 hands down. If you use the rear seats a lot then I think you'll get tired of pushing the front seat out of the way to let people in and out. The doors on the C70 are long which can be an issue in car parks (and over time they can sag). Boot space between the C70 and the saloon 850 - there is little in it apart from the aperture which is a tad smaller on the coupe.

Interior
One of the best things about the C70 is the stereo system which is absolutely awesome.
850R has that lovely 1/2 leather 1/2 sueded seats (which was an option on the C70 GT, IIRC)

C70 T5 is group 16 (group 17 on the GT) and 850R is Group 17

Ride
The C70 is more refined and generally quieter (so long as you have good seals on the rimless doors). There is little to separate them chassis wise. The C70 IIRC is slightly lighter?

Overall
Both superb cars IMHO - the 850R because its a limited edition and you get loads of toys and it's a good looking car
C70 for the looks, engine and the ICE.
I am slightly biased but the C70 gets my vote.

Astro
Thursday 18th May 2006, 15:52
Good analyze.

I'll join Wobbly on the fact that you have to know what you will do with your car. Having a child will drive you to the 850 without any conditions.
But if you r single or just married, choose C70, i got one and enjoy this car.

Just something, when you got a C, don't take rear passenger if it 's raining, you will enjoy the speed of the front seats :) .

The new C front seats are faster. (?)

barberecpw
Thursday 18th May 2006, 16:38
looks and pedigree

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/cpgroup2/46336-31.jpg

fireplums
Friday 19th May 2006, 10:23
hmm.... i think i'm going towards a C70
finally saved the money to buy my perfect R / t5R and now I want something else.
The grass is always greener!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 19th May 2006, 10:50
On the elecy seat thing - avoid the GTs and then you will not have to deal with that issue. Get a Sport or GS instead.

BTW if you want a test drive on the Coupe - I'd be happy to help out.

Rufe
Friday 19th May 2006, 18:51
On the elecy seat thing - avoid the GTs and then you will not have to deal with that issue. Get a Sport or GS instead.

BTW if you want a test drive on the Coupe - I'd be happy to help out.
yes the seats are too slow to be messing around waiting for back seat passengers to be able to get in.... though back seat passengers add weight, so no big deal if they cant come lol.

After_Shock
Friday 19th May 2006, 19:48
Gt's dont come with electric seats as standard, they are an option on all variants.

Rufe
Friday 19th May 2006, 19:56
thats right mate as far as i am aware too. if i remember rightly, with the C70 it was either have both front electric, or no electric (unlike the other models where you could get just the drivers seat in electric)