PDA

View Full Version : does size matter?

nealer
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 23:53
Evening folks,

I've been debating whether or not to get new alloys for my S60 2.4T.... I've been looking mainly at 18" as the stock 17" wheels look very small on the car...

...but.. what about 19" rims ... do you think they would look stupid without changing the springs / shocks? will the ride suffer etc...

the 18" ones I'm favouring are replicas (http://www.performancealloys.com/details.asp?procedure=wheel&id_wheels='178'&id_wheels_manufacturers='Replicas'&id_wheels_sizes='18x8'&price='149'&permission=146310182)of the nebula volvo rim ... but i can't seem to get a good deal with the tyres I want ... i've read other threads and everyone seems to favour goodyear f1s which i've had on other cars and loved.

I've got Kumho (sp?) on the front at the minute which are rubbish - the front end goes daft in the wet! Anyone had a good experience with Avons ZZ3 or Dunlops SP9000?

Thanks...

Baj
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 00:04
I used to have Kuhmos on the Landy. Budget tyres but not supercheap ones.
I have Pirrelli Pzeros on mine and I am not that impressed tbh, especially in the wet.

nealer
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 10:32
very hard to know what tyre to pick without 'trial and error'.. my old S40 T4 had Continentals, and they weren't any good... I guess with powerful front wheel drive cars there's no easy answer.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 17:24
I got 19s on an S60 - lowered -30mm max but i still think it looks too high but apparently if u go lower u can upset the tracking etc

nealer
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 17:49
I think changing to 18s or 19s will fill the arches slightly better .... but hard to know without trying.

Had a look in the gallery at your S60 btw - looks really well! (love the Cosworth too - you must have a huge driveway!)

Engineer
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 19:35
According to the girls I've spoken to size matters but only if wrapped in good quality rubber lol. :wink:

dreadly
Thursday 18th May 2006, 07:31
I've got Kumho (sp?) on the front at the minute which are rubbish - the front end goes daft in the wet! Anyone had a good experience with Avons ZZ3 or Dunlops SP9000?

Thanks...

I am running on Pirelli P6000's on stock 17" wheels, I can't say I'm that impressed with them.
My fathers V70 T5 is running on Stock 16" wheels with Avon ZZ3's - He loves them, mainly because he does all motorway driving and managed 43k on the last pair of front tyres. His rear pair are relatively unworn still.

Tyres seem to be a bit of a minefield, my previous cars and my wifes current car (VW Touran TDI) are fitted with Michelin Pilot Premacy, I like these tyres.
:blahblah: