PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky steering

Baj
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 09:33
When I turn my steering wheel I get a squeek that sounds like naked flesh on clean glass.
I think it is coming from the steering column, sounds like underthe dash somewhere.
Are there rubber bushes on the steering column? Do they tend to go and are theyt a bitch to change?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 09:37
70 series by any chance?

x

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 09:37
Simple answer is I dont know but I have a complete steering column from the 70 series that you can use/abuse for £20 plus P&P, if that helps at all.

Baj
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 09:48
Mrs M, Yes. Porquoi?

Dave. Cheers. Hopefully I wont need to go that far. I will await further responses first and then get back to you. I may just turn the stereo up.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 10:01
Mine does it!!

Particularly bad when cold?

x

Liddo
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 10:10
Mine does it too, and my C70 before this one. I think its a case of a bit of grease or vaseline around the back of the steering wheel, OR, getting someone to turn the wheel, as you contort yourself below the dash to see where it's squeaking ;)

PS, if you find out before me, let me know :D

Baj
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 10:11
Mine does it!!

Particularly bad when cold?

x

Dont know. TBH I only noticed it yesterday.
Things like that annoy me. If you have it and its fine then probably not anything majorly wrong. I just have to deal with the irritation factor! :)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 10:23
I dont think its anything to worry about - it appears to be quite a common annoyance on the 70's.

Its bloody annoying so I just turn the radio up!! Ignorance is bliss lol

x

RobA
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 10:27
My dad's V70 used to do this and whilst trying to find out what the hell it was I came across this thread on Swedespeed:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50816

Never got to find out if it fixed the problem as the car was sold before we could get a chance to look at it..

Anyways, hopefully it might be of some use to you....seems a common problem and annoying if my dad's V70 was anything to go by

Baj
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 11:12
Oh sod it. I only noticed it while negotiating the petrol station. I'll leave it til it gets bad. Cheers people. Nice to know I am not alone ;)

monsterdark
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 22:17
Quick spray of WD40 worked for me last time

Baj
Thursday 18th May 2006, 09:32
Bizzarely it seems to have stopped now.:)

Babybadger
Thursday 18th May 2006, 10:48
http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/70steering.php

That should do it......

madness
Thursday 18th May 2006, 22:21
dont forget about the srs contact reel. another usual source of noise.