PDA

View Full Version : help or advice needed removing front brake calipers

rickbee
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:26
I am a an occasional mechanic with limited expertise and tools. I have had a go at a brake upgrade. replaced rear discs and pads on my V70 R with a lot of cursing and swearing, moved to front of car to replace discs and carriers with gen Volvo 302mm items. First fitted Goodridge hoses, diffcult for me but managed it. I became stuck with the carrier bolts. I cannot shift the top carrier bolt on either side( afaik its 15mm). I have tried impact wrench, and various long levers and socket types, plus ring spanners. Cant shift them, plus I have damaged the head of the top bolt on the offside now. I have exceeded my ability, enthusiasm and brute force on this job. :mad: I dont know what to do now. As I see it I have two problems. One carrier bolt with a partly rounded head and another one at the top on the near side which is just as tight but I have not given that the same treatment for fear of causing more damage.

I thought this job would be straight forward even for someone with my limited skills. Call me a wuss, how can I progress with this job. I have fitted the new pads on the front anyway and bled the system and its all working ok. Anyone got a four foot long extension bar lol?

pzorb
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:33
I empathise with you, had a similar problem doing the same thing a couple months ago. Didn't round the heads but couldn't budge them. If the car drives, I'd take it to a mechanic and just ask for the bolts to be undone/slacked. If they get b*ggered up further it's his problem. Brute strength won out for me, but if the head's showing distress it's best to get it looked at. IMHO.
PS I'd strongly suggest finding yourself some new bolts now ready to put in when you've done the job.

Tomcat
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:38
Where abouts in Cheshire are you?, if you can wait till the weekend I may be able to lend a quick hand

Baj
Monday 15th May 2006, 21:30
Manual (hit with a hammer) impact wrench or air/electric?

rickbee
Monday 15th May 2006, 22:43
I empathise with you, had a similar problem doing the same thing a couple months ago. Didn't round the heads but couldn't budge them. If the car drives, I'd take it to a mechanic and just ask for the bolts to be undone/slacked. If they get b*ggered up further it's his problem. Brute strength won out for me, but if the head's showing distress it's best to get it looked at. IMHO.
PS I'd strongly suggest finding yourself some new bolts now ready to put in when you've done the job.
new carriers come with new bolts, so no problem on that score

rickbee
Monday 15th May 2006, 22:45
Manual (hit with a hammer) impact wrench or air/electric?
tried an electric impact wrench first, then various hammers, torque wrench etc, they are b***dy tight

rickbee
Monday 15th May 2006, 22:47
Where abouts in Cheshire are you?, if you can wait till the weekend I may be able to lend a quick hand
hiya Tomcat, live very near Manchester Airport, its not a rush job, the car is not used often, and operates fine, just like to have the new parts fitted at some stage. Where are you?

Tomcat
Monday 15th May 2006, 22:50
I'm in Wigan, so its not a million miles away... Bit concerned that you've not been able to shift em with torque wrenches etc......

rickbee
Monday 15th May 2006, 23:10
I'm in Wigan, so its not a million miles away... Bit concerned that you've not been able to shift em with torque wrenches etc......

yeah, I tried hard but I have a bit of a gammy shoulder so I'm maybe not up to the job, way I see it, biggest problem is the chewed bolt, even belted a 14mm socket on and tried that, but it split the socket lol

blackbooty
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 01:18
wd40 them a few times a day for a couple of days, go and buy a 3ft breaker bar and give them a go, making sure the socket is on squarely and the breaker bar is at 90 degrees to the bolt head (to stop it jumping off and damaging the bolt)

oooh errr, your gonna have fun with the chewed one mate!!!

if you couldnt get it using all your strength with a good head, i dont hold much hope of it coming out after you knocked a smaller socket onto it and damaged it further.

maybe take whole hub/disc/caliper off and take it to someone who can weld a new head on it for you . (maybe safe to weld while in situe, im not a welder)

its a bitch mate, ive done it myself and had to drill n hexi-coil bolts n threads, or drill n re-tap bits that i couldnt take off.

super heating is also sometimes used toget things undone but im usure of when its used or on what type of fixing (nut or bolt).

best of luck.

wayne

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 16th May 2006, 08:39
Don't mean to sound obtuse but you are turning it the right way?

Here is my how 2...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6695

pookie
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 00:43
Rickbee
I'm minutes away from you call me on 0161 485 2656 and I'll come and have a look see.
Cheers
Pookie

Straker
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 11:57
Now hear me out but coke is a good joint persuader. You know it rotts teeth so it also frees up rusty bolts. I'd just soak iit in oil and coke for about a week before doing it then give it another go.

I also empathise. I did a 302 conversion a few weeks ago but it was the union to the flexy hose that broke on me. Ended up have to cut brake pipes and re-form ends. Very nerve wracking and lots of swaring but I got there is the end.

Good luck