PDA

View Full Version : Red-ex Engine Treatment?

clint eastwood
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:05
My 1994 850 T-5 estate has been owned buy a lady driver for the last 10 years who fitted a dog-bar and drove the dog around everywhere judging buy the amount of bloody dog hair in it. Only bought it last week and am unsure as to use RED-EX or not as it proberbly has`nt been driven hard at all in that time. Carbon deposits I beleive can clogg up the workings from exsessive sunday driving, is`nt that right? So, does it leave any undesired effects? Can it leave my engine "addicted" to the stuff? Can it be used on turbo ehgines? Cheers

BlackBeast
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:10
Wouldnt put any treatments in the engine myself, its better to replace the pcv system, clean up everything and add a catch tank.

Andrew
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:11
My 1994 850 T-5 estate has been owned buy a lady driver for the last 10 years who fitted a dog-bar and drove the dog around everywhere judging buy the amount of bloody dog hair in it. Only bought it last week and am unsure as to use RED-EX or not as it proberbly has`nt been driven hard at all in that time. Carbon deposits I beleive can clogg up the workings from exsessive sunday driving, is`nt that right? So, does it leave any undesired effects? Can it leave my engine "addicted" to the stuff? Can it be used on turbo ehgines? Cheers

Some people will say go ahead and use it (I've done it once in the past)
Some others will say just use a good oil which already has cleaning agents in
Others will say just get it on a rolling road - take it upto 140mph and blow those carbon deposits down the pipe ...

:saythat:

Vikingxl
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:18
Just take it out and drive it like you stole it that should sort it out or kill it one of the two!

spencem875
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:24
take it upto 140mph and blow those carbon deposits down the pipe ...

Only 140? :snail: i been meaning 2 ask, anyone know what a 850 t5 can push top end?

Engineer
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:25
Redex ! Gunk ! what next Brylcreem? lol :wink:

Andrew
They are restricted to 150/155 I believe. I've heard Roumers a RICA which also removes this restriction can go to 170 with enough private runway.

Vikingxl
Depends what you have done to it first really

Vikingxl
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:28
Redex ! Gunk ! what next Brylcreem? lol :wink:
Off topic i know and sorry but Engineer where have you been thought you had died of old age!

GATHY
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:35
Only 140? :snail: i been meaning 2 ask, anyone know what a 850 t5 can push top end?

not yet but i know my 2.4t does over 145 because i did it easily on the m62 on saturday when i picked up my new s60 so i would have thought the t5 will do 150+

i reckon depending on which gearbox it should touch 150+in manual
i managed 155mph in my 2001 s40 t4 been hunted by my mate in his focus rs and he confirmed he was doing 154mph on is clock but it was a 20 mile dual carriagway at 11 at night,
i would have thought speedo error was a factor but in 2 cars level pegging and 1mph in it i wouldnt have thought it would be way out

as for redex .fire some in it and take her out and give her the beating of her life

Engineer
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:40
Off topic i know and sorry but Engineer where have you been thought you had died of old age!

Mate been buried with work lol. Still am but trying to escape...............

Vikingxl
Monday 15th May 2006, 17:44
Ok then nice to hear from you again mate!

Engineer
Monday 15th May 2006, 18:14
Ok then nice to hear from you again mate!

Ta Rich, better vacate this thread before we get b-----ked..............

lance
Monday 15th May 2006, 18:30
I would go for a full tank have optimax a good service change the fuel filter canister I doubt its been done. Then I would treat it too an ITG filter.

reat it to an ITG filter
Then I would find a private runway if everything is fine, No boost leaks good turbo etc etc,
a stock 225 bhp 850 T5 manual should hit 135 very easiy and top out at 145-150 mph.