PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Air Con

Adge
Monday 15th May 2006, 16:30
I have a leak of air con. refrigerant, probably up under the dashboard. The air con technician suggested using an air con equivalent of radseal as a first try at sealing the leak. This would save £450! if it worked. Has anyone else tried this route? Seems to make sense and avoid future leaks.
Thanks in anticipation.
Harry

blackbooty
Monday 15th May 2006, 18:09
surely an air con tech would have been able to tell you exactly what the prob is mate.

the refrigerant has a dye in it that glows under infered light....
if 20 or so gramms of refrigerant had leaked out there must be traces of it for him to see.

i dont know anyone thats used it im afraid.

on a side note... where on the white isle are ya ?
i grew up in Southampton and spent alot of time the rock.

wayne.

Engineer
Monday 15th May 2006, 18:26
The stuff works on small leaks. Units fitted to most modern A/C systems are made of chepo alloy and weep for a better word, if they are split badly then forget it, as posted leak detector as in gas will pick up a bad leak and maybe not a small one have another word with your A/C man, older Volvo systems are of a much better quality.

Adge
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:00
surely an air con tech would have been able to tell you exactly what the prob is mate.

the refrigerant has a dye in it that glows under infered light....
if 20 or so gramms of refrigerant had leaked out there must be traces of it for him to see.

i dont know anyone thats used it im afraid.

on a side note... where on the white isle are ya ?
i grew up in Southampton and spent alot of time the rock.

wayne.
Thanks for advice. He sways he'll havwe to remove the ghlovebox to be sure . He has put dye in.
I too grew up in Southampton. Now at Wootton.

Adge
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:08
I just read my last post. Looks as though I've been drinking all day! Sorry, will type more slowly in the future!

nobananas
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:16
My 850 also has a leak behind the dash that my air-con bloke found by waving his 'sniffer' round the air-ducts. The leak is most likely the evapourator which looks like a small rad that lives in a very dark place behind the dash. It is not that dear on it's own but the labour to do it is quite high as it's a dash out job. He advised me against using a leak-stop type agent as he claims that it will over time it will damage the rest of the system.

Adge
Monday 15th May 2006, 20:26
Thanks "Nobananas", that's complicated what seemed like a simlpe solution.
He did say that the compressor might clog if it had to be removed for some reason. It seems exposure to the air on dismantling , which obviously is how the stuff works, can do more harm.