PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get My Codes Out

oliwally
Sunday 14th May 2006, 15:06
Just Went And Had A Go At Trying To Get My Codes Out Of The Car.
Connected Flylead To A2 As Your Ment To And.....Nothing,Coulnt Get The Led To Do Anything,Not Even Clear!!!!. Whats Wrong? Am I Doing Something Not Right? Have I A Problem With The Led Or Socket? Is My ECU Fubared???

splatt
Sunday 14th May 2006, 15:22
They take a bit of practice and timing, does the LED do nothing at all....?
spray with good old WD40 to clean it up a bit and use a bit of glass paper on the fly lead.
What exactly are you trying to read?

oliwally
Sunday 14th May 2006, 15:50
It Sometimes Lacks Go,Doesnt Seem To Pull As Hard As Usual. Sometimes It Feels Flat,But Then It Just Flew Thursday Night,3 Up 3rd Gear Managed To Get Over 3 Figures And Was Still Pulling.
Yesterday 2 Up I Could Only Mangage 90ish.
The Led Did Nothing At All.

splatt
Sunday 14th May 2006, 16:05
According to my book...

The diagnostic socket is split into 2 parts, A and B, B socket 2 is the only one that works and diagnoses cruise control..
So A does the most...
socket 1...auto box
socket 2 ..Fuel System
Socket 3..ABS
Socket 5..Spare..
Socket 6 Ignition
Socket 7..Instrument

The lead is socket 4 so I havent lost count... :)

craig
Sunday 14th May 2006, 16:05
i assume you had the ignition on.

splatt
Sunday 14th May 2006, 16:10
It Sometimes Lacks Go,Doesnt Seem To Pull As Hard As Usual. Sometimes It Feels Flat,But The It Just Flew Thursday Night,3 Up 3rd Gear Managed To Get Over 3 Figures And Was Still Pulling.
Yesterday 2 Up I Could Only Mangage 90ish.
The Led Did Nothing At All.oh dear...that sounds bizarre,, Wheres Adam when you need him? LOL...get your Air filter out, check, basically do a service (cleanup)...not wanting to sound like the bearer of bad news but this sounds like the car is not able to get air in or exhaust out like it cant breathe...you know what I mean...have you shagged your cat (no.......before you say it) as they are quite fragile,

splatt
Sunday 14th May 2006, 16:11
i assume you had the ignition on.:lol: good point...

oliwally
Sunday 14th May 2006, 16:24
i assume you had the ignition on.
Yes,I Had It Switched On Ready To Start The Car.
It Had A Complete Service When I Bought Her 9 Months Ago,Had Air/Oil/Fuel And Plugs Changed.
Since Then I've Change Some Of The Elbows And A Few Feet Of Vac Hoses.
Think Mine Still On The Orginal Turbo. Car Has Done 109k Now.
Thinking My Turbo Is Struggling To Hold Boost Or Is Loosing It Somewhere.
But That Doesnt Explain Why The Led Doesnt Work,Spent 10 Mins Trying To Read Or Clear Codes And Not A Thing From The Led.

Babybadger
Monday 15th May 2006, 10:15
Yes,I Had It Switched On Ready To Start The Car.
It Had A Complete Service When I Bought Her 9 Months Ago,Had Air/Oil/Fuel And Plugs Changed.
Since Then I've Change Some Of The Elbows And A Few Feet Of Vac Hoses.
Think Mine Still On The Orginal Turbo. Car Has Done 109k Now.
Thinking My Turbo Is Struggling To Hold Boost Or Is Loosing It Somewhere.
But That Doesnt Explain Why The Led Doesnt Work,Spent 10 Mins Trying To Read Or Clear Codes And Not A Thing From The Led.

Turn the ignition on, plug the lead into A2 and push the button for 2-3 seconds. Then release and watch the light. It will blink however many times, then pause then blink again, then pause then blink again. So for instance code 1-2-1 would show as ..... blink, pause,blink,blink,pause,blink.

Then post what happens. Don't forget to read all the codes. If it has no codes held it will show 1-1-1 shown as ......blink, pause,blink,pause,blink.

oliwally
Wednesday 17th May 2006, 23:33
Its Completely Dead,Took The A Socket Off And Tested The Led. The Led Works,Flyleads Ok And Button Doing What It Ment To.
Checked The Fuses And They Seem To Be Ok. I Think I've Lost A Feed To The Button So It Wont Go And Get The Codes??? Any Ideas?

samsplums
Thursday 18th May 2006, 06:41
I don't know how easy it is to replace but Salvo (0115 944 5644) are pretty cheap when it comes to replacement parts. It might be worth replacing the whole diagnostic unit.

If you need code list you can find them section 2 of haynes manual-or can email them if you like..?

Niles
Friday 19th May 2006, 11:09
mine wouldnt work when i got the car. The unit IS 'take apartable'. slip of the plastic unit, undo the connector then gently open the securing clips. Inside is very simple. You may find all it is is a broken solder joint. I did, resoldered mine & it works. Very worth taking a look.

The Flying Banana
Friday 19th May 2006, 11:35
I took mine apart , Spesh was messing about with it one night and pulled the fly lead right off!!! The units ( A & B ) are just clipped in with a multi plug connecting them, unclip and seperate from the plug, seperate the joins and see what is happening inside, bit od a clean , adjustment and put it back on , worth a try before you buy a new one!

blackbooty
Friday 19th May 2006, 17:19
as was explained to me by our good man pzorb.... and after pulling a phase 1 diagnostic socket apart to use as a home made OBDII (coin holder) reader....

i can tell you that when depressing the red button, it causes the earth wire to contact the flylead and that is what gets everything going, if the earth dosnt contact the flylead it wont work.

as niles and tfb said.... take apart gently with a hammer and try again mate.

wayne

Babybadger
Wednesday 24th May 2006, 09:09
Try putting a tad of wd40 on the fly lead, it may be a bad contact ;-)