PDA

View Full Version : Alarm

nikgallagher
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 16:31
Did the 850 CD spec come fitted with a volvo alarm as standard? I have a small sensor/LED thing on the top middle of dashboard, but 'over-turning' the door lock doesn't seem to make the LED flash. I only have one key and no blipper wotzit fob. Any way of finding out if it's alarmed without punching the window through?

mailee
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 22:46
You don't mention what year your car is. Having said that yes they do have alarms fitted as standard. You need the remote keyfob to activate it though as it does not work through the key. if your car is pre 2000 if I remember correctly it can be programed by yourself. If it is a later model the dealer must program it. Does it have a sticker on the drivers side drop glass stating if it is Alarm Guard I or Alarm Guard II? If it is the early type then the remotes are around £50 from the dealer, if it is later thay are around £80! One way to tell but not in your case is look at the key fob and see if the buttons are a large on with a smaller one below it, this signifies it is the early type as fitted to later 9 series. If it is the later type it will have two small buttons side by side. I think this is correct and I am sure one of the experts on here will correct me if I am wrong. I too had to replace the alarm fob as mine gave up the ghost just after buying the car. Oh and by the way it also operates the immobiliser too. Hope this is of some help. Might know more if I know what year your car is though.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 00:36
Fobs often turn up on ebay and it is worth giving Salvo a ring. Once you have one I think (without looking) we have the programming how-to in the KB section. Turning the key will not activate the alarm. I bought mine when I got the car - cost me £67 inc programming from Becklands Volvo.

nikgallagher
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 08:20
Thanks for the info chaps. Car is a '96 854. Sounds like (for a change) the cheaper option is the case here, so will have a butchers for a second hand one somewhere. In the manual it looks like the fob is the one with a large button above a smaller button. What is the point of turning the key that little bit further when locking the door then, cos something definately engages (I can hear it)?

chriskay
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 09:38
Hi, Nik, the extra turn of the key deadlocks the doors, so if someone breaks a window, the doors cannot be opened from the inside. I think the sensor in the centre dash is a solar sensor, something to do with aircon.
Cheers, Chris.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 09:50
The thing in the middle is the alarm sensor for sure??

Fob engages the deadlocks automatically and it will be the same as mine (with lock and unlock on the same big button).

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 22:31
I have a red LED flashing on my dash, i cant find a siren box anywhere but last summer i left a window down and an alarm went off so who cares where it is. It sounded like the european police sirens too actually , u know the hi lo sound.

rich850t5
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 22:47
The alarm fob on my car will lock and unlock the car but it will not lock the boot. If i then lock the boot with the key it will only unlock the car it won't lock the doors at all but alarm comes on,anyone got a solution? thank's RICH :wallbash: :thewave:

mailee
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 22:52
I had a similar problem with the tailgate on mine. I don't know if it is the same problem but worth checking. A linkage had become disconnected in the tailgate, popped it back on and it now works fine. :B_thumb:

mailee
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 22:58
Nik gallahger, when you get the new fob all you have to do to programme it is turn the ignition off and on five times leaving the ignition on on the last turn and then press the large button on the remote for a second or two until the light on the dash flashes, it is then programmed. If you have more than one fob the other must be programmed at the same time no longer than 15 seconds after the first. :)

rich850t5
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 23:07
Nik gallahger, when you get the new fob all you have to do to programme it is turn the ignition off and on five times leaving the ignition on on the last turn and then press the large button on the remote for a second or two until the light on the dash flashes, it is then programmed. If you have more than one fob the other must be programmed at the same time no longer than 15 seconds after the first. :)PLUS IF YOU HAVE YOUR MANUAL IT'S IN THERE! RICH

rich850t5
Wednesday 23rd March 2005, 23:11
I had a similar problem with the tailgate on mine. I don't know if it is the same problem but worth checking. A linkage had become disconnected in the tailgate, popped it back on and it now works fine. :B_thumb:YEAH AS EASY AS THAT? I'LL HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT THAT AT THE WKEND CHEERS RICH :tank: :splat:

nikgallagher
Friday 25th March 2005, 15:57
Nik gallahger, when you get the new fob all you have to do to programme it is turn the ignition off and on five times leaving the ignition on on the last turn and then press the large button on the remote for a second or two until the light on the dash flashes, it is then programmed. If you have more than one fob the other must be programmed at the same time no longer than 15 seconds after the first. :)

Cheers. Will do that when I get round to sourcing a fob.