PDA

View Full Version : CVVT fault code!

BlackV70
Friday 12th May 2006, 08:00
Twice in the last month or so I have had the check engine light come on. Both times after extended periods of slow driving (30 mph stuck in traffic).

The ECU returns DTC code P1332.

I think this code is related to the CVVT control system (Constant Variable Valve Timing).

Volvo list a number of codes in their own format related to the CVVT solenoid & sensor but don't provide a cross reference for this particular code.

I was going to start by replacing the CVVT solenoid but it would be a shot in the dark. I've taken the solonoid off for inspection and the oilways appear to be clear, unfortunatly I'm not sure how to test it.

Can anyone tell me what this code means and what action I should take?

Thanks in advance!

Rufe
Friday 12th May 2006, 19:52
i think that P1332 is this one mate ECM-644A

this is a cut and paste from VADIS for you anyway:

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-644A is stored in the engine control module (ECM) if the camshaft is not in the correct position. The engine control module (ECM) registers this as a fault as soon as the engine is started.
The engine control module (ECM) registers a fault and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-644A is stored in the engine control module (ECM) if the camshaft position (CMP) sensor flanker is not correct in relation to the engine speed (RPM) sensor.
The engine control module (ECM) registers a fault and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-644A is stored in the engine control module (ECM) if the camshaft does not rotate quickly enough in response to the control signal.

Substitute value
-the variable camshaft is disabled

Possible source

Faulty position
-camshaft belt has jumped out of place on the cogs
-defective reset valve
-mechanical fault in the Variable valve timing (VVT) unit
Faulty control
-defective camshaft position (CMP) sensor
Control too slow
-low oil pressure
-poor oil quality
-defective reset valve
-mechanical fault in the Variable valve timing (VVT) unit

Fault symptom
-poor performance

Checking the fault type:

-Check camshaft position (CMP) sensor connector for contact resistance and oxidation

-Read out the adapted values for the camshaft. There are 4 values, one for each flank.
If one of the adaptation values is 20 degrees, the camshaft reset valve has stuck. Replace the camshaft reset valve.
If one of the adaptation values is less than 9 degrees, the camshaft reset valve is defective. Replace the camshaft reset valve.
If any of the adaptation values are between 10 and 19 degrees, the variable camshaft must be adjusted in relation to the crankshaft. Adjust the camshaft.
Remedy as necessary.

-Check reset valve camshaft resistance between both terminals #1 and #2, resistance should be approximately 3.7 ohm.

-Check the oil level and oil quality.
Check that the variable valve timing (VVT) unit and reset valve function mechanically.
Remedy as necessary.

=Verification:
Hint: After carrying out the repair, check that the fault has been remedied.
-Ignition off
-Reinstall the connectors, components etc.
-Ignition on
-Start the engine.
Check the camshaft adaptation by reading off the adaptation values of the camshaft (flanks 1-4). All values must be between -7° and +7°.
Turbocharged engines: When checking, the accelerator pedal (AP) must be depressed slightly but the engine speed must be below 1200 rpm.

not 100% but that the code i think it is, but obviously, getting the volvo code from a dealer would be more of a help really, just to be certain that is the right one, if you get me :)

blackbooty
Friday 12th May 2006, 23:42
cant help you BlackV70 and sorry to do a tangent....

nice work Rufe and an impressive 15 months at Tonna-Tuning i see.

Rufe
Friday 12th May 2006, 23:58
btw, tonna tuning isn't a volvo main dealer lol :D

'Tonna-Tuning' is basically 'Spesh and co', but where i work is a real volvo dealer, F.R.F. Motors in swansea (perhaps i should have made that more clear in the sig text lol ;) )

BlackBeast
Saturday 13th May 2006, 00:15
LOL thats great.