PDA

View Full Version : V70 suspension questions

Baj
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 09:32
My front suspension has an issue.
If you push down on the wing on one side the round metal washer will rise with the strut.
Last night I removed the strut.
The top mount rubber seems in good condition. The metal plate that fits it to the wing spins on itself and is generally loose and wobbly.
Is this right or is it knackered? I need to know as replacing it is £86 from Volvo and a special order.

Also I could not get the strut apart. The king nut on the top spins the strut piston. Haynes say you need a special tool from Volvo. :cussing:
Is there a bodge tool method?

ta

PS: I should point out that I have Koni adjustable suspension and the top of the strut has a little adjusting pin in it instead of a useful allen key hole that I can brace against.

EDIT 2: Can anyone tell me wherabouts in the engine bay my dropped strut barce nut went? I have no tray underneath butthe nut never fell outthe bottom. An extensive search has revealed nothing. Failing that, what size/guage is the nut/bolt that holds the strut brace bar to the rings

blackbooty
Thursday 11th May 2006, 01:48
hi Baj, i dont think the insert should move independantly of the top mount, the top mount is the bit that holds the top of the insert in place and enables it to dampen the bumps out.

are you sure the damper/top mount nut is tightend properly??

its all supposed to be rigid (other than the top mount bush) , but thats only to stop metal on metal damage.

the damping happens in the middle of the strut, not in strut turret or at hub.

to get the nut off strut, you should have flats near the nut or allen key holes as youve said.
they come apart, someone familiar with this brand will tell you how.

look with a torch, if not any make main dealer parts depot should be able to sort you an m8 nut.

check youive assembled everything correctly mate.

Baj
Thursday 11th May 2006, 14:56
Right, new top plate ordered.
/wipes sweat off switch card