PDA

View Full Version : Koni FSD or Monroe Reflex??

JO5EPH
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 21:28
I was all set for getting the Koni FSD's, as I got a decent price (£380ish) from my local motorsport shoppy and I liked the independant reviews people gave them.

But then I did a search on here, and found this: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7188&highlight=koni+fsd

...and Hamish's comments seem to suggest the Monroe route.

So has anyone had experience with either setup?? (and the costs involved?!) I'm wanting something that doesnt affect comfort too much, but makes it handle well, am I asking too much??

It also needs to be able to put the power down, at the moment, it's a standard 1997 S70 T5, which wheelspins like buggery, so would lowering it help? (new tyres are on the way too ;) )

Thanks in advance,

Joe :)

BlackBeast
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 21:59
Put some larger wheels on the beast, I did, went for 18" and the wheelspin has greatly reduced.

JO5EPH
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:04
hmm, dont really fancy bigger wheels, stock 16's will do for me!

I basically want it to be able to 'handle' the power :D

T5ER
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:06
hmm, dont really fancy bigger wheels, stock 16's will do for me!

I basically want it to be able to 'handle' the power :D

dont push the right pedal all the way through the carpet into the engine bay ??? that might help LOL

highgun
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:08
I had the koni shocks fitted last year, and found them to have great handling, but they also had a very harsh ride over the bumps even on the softest setting, so only had them for 2 weeks, and changed them for the Monroe shocks, which don’t handle quite as well, but are much better over bumpy roads.

I can’t remember the price, but the Monroe shocks cost more than the Koni`s.

So if you want the best handling, get the koni`s.
If you want the smoothest ride and good handling, get the Monroe’s.

Hope this helps,

Tony.

JO5EPH
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:12
dont push the right pedal all the way through the carpet into the engine bay ??? that might help LOL
Nah, I have this rare condition where I was born with lead in my right foot. (joking!)

But surely the potential to wheelspin would be reduced when the car is lower, because more power would be pushing the car forward, as opposed to pushing it on its arse, lightening the front end, and producing wheelspin!

Plus I want it to handle well, the odd track day etc...

JO5EPH
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:16
Highgun/Tony,

Are they the normal yellow koni's or the FSD's? I didnt know you could adjust the FSD's? :confused:

I think i'd prefer them to handle well, as opposed to being in more comfort whilst sacrificing the handling.

Well I say that now, but I may change my mind after it's rattled all of my teeth out....

BlackBeast
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:33
I think the best bet is try and find 2 owners with both set ups and see if they are kind enough to offer you a passenger ride in them. You can decide for yourself whats the best way to go for your own driving style/needs.

highgun
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:33
Highgun/Tony,

Are they the normal yellow koni's or the FSD's? I didnt know you could adjust the FSD's? :confused:

I think i'd prefer them to handle well, as opposed to being in more comfort whilst sacrificing the handling.

Well I say that now, but I may change my mind after it's rattled all of my teeth out....

Sorry they were the yellow adjustable shocks.

Tony.

JO5EPH
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 22:41
I think the best bet is try and find 2 owners with both set ups and see if they are kind enough to offer you a passenger ride in them.

Any takers??

I dont need a ride really, just an honest review of them, good/bad points etc.

So does anyone know anyone with;

a) Koni FSD's
b) Monroe Reflex's

Preferebly on an S70 or similar??

Many thanks!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 12:27
The FSD are Koni's attempt at the Monroe Reflex - TBH I have no experience of the FSD (which BTW are not adjustable). The point is both are dynamic shocks - so the harder you work the car the stiffer they become. IMHO is a great idea for the road.

woz
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 21:13
I know what you mean - I got them spinning at 60 up the slip road onto the M5 lastw eek - not scary but a bit of a shocker!!

General traction rules apply - get your dampers and bushes good, get your alignment checked (toe and camber being critical) and corner weights as well!! - dodgy bushes will alow weird things to happen to your contact patch under high torque as the front rises, the wheels pull forward changing toe and camber, and lets face it 200+bhp through two wheels is a fair challenge to your 10 year old bush. (Fnaaaarrrr) Dampers are essential for controlling the wheels contact with the road and with stiffer springs will control the front of the car rising - particularly in the transient situation you get when turbo comes on boost.

Not sure how bigger wheels make difference???? Unless your roling radius goes up - same torque less force at increased radius. May as well follow advice of less throttle.

Get better at throttle control is a cheap solution, but ultimately a slipper diff or 4WD are the only answers if you cant or the car cant manage that. But a total waste of money if you dont fix the basics above first!!

Sounds like I swallowed a dictionary, but its just applied common sense - hope it helps.

Woz

aeroresh
Thursday 11th May 2006, 12:26
Ive got FSDs on my S60 T5 but they're fitted with Eibach lowering springs (Koni recommends they're fitted with non lowered springs).

Ride is OK (19" wheels dont help!), handling however is superb!

Im thinking about changing the springs for R items though as Im doing 800 miles a week in the car and want a bit more comfort!

Simon
Thursday 11th May 2006, 14:01
I also have FSD's and Eibach dampers and am very happy with them. I have had Koni Sports dampers on previous cars, but would stick with FSD's from now on.

Traduk
Thursday 11th May 2006, 14:02
I can give you my opinion on Monroe reflex's as I had them fitted (by Hamish) 16 months ago as part of a RICA, suspension, brake upgrade.

The car is a '99 V70 T5 and the struts before replacement were stock at 55K miles old. Wheels.. standard 16 inch Perfos and rubber = Goodyear Eagles.

There was nothing wrong with the stock struts other than the fact that at 55K miles they were well past their best. What I hated most about the standard set-up was the roll on high speed motorway bends. The lift on acceleration gave an OK feeling but obviously was counter-productive as it unloads the driven wheels... thus wheelspin. The dive on braking was a nuisance as it is with all cars.

The Monroes gave the car a flat level front with no perceptable roll at all on high speed cornering. The car keeps it's line through bends with little more than a bias pressure needed on the steering wheel but it actually follows those long bends pretty much on it's own. The set-up inspires such confidence that rather than the old days of gripping the wheel with both hands a light thumb\finger grip would suffice.

On acceleration there is a small amount of lift as there is a small amount of dive under braking but so little that you have to look hard to see it happen. It definitely aids both acceleration and braking by holding the front almost flat during either action.

For general ride they are quite a bit harder than stock but I honestly do not think enough to be of concern. I threw away some part worn P6000's off the front (atrocious) and the harder sidewall Eagles gave more harshness to the front than the Monroes have.

As for wheelspin... Under the same power application, in the same places as before they definitely improve the situation dramatically. I rarely see wheelspin at road junctions etc where I often used to get it but when pushing on over bumpy stuff then it is still possible.

According to 4 Volvo techs who have driven my car, it is massively powerful and handles like a dream. Monroes have proven to be a huge part not only in the usabilty of the upgrade but also as a dramatic improvement above stock.

You wanted downsides... There is one if it's a downside. My car is blisteringly fast, handles as well as can be expected but has an element of boredom. No nose lift removes that "Houston we have lift off" feel and the only way you or people know that the loud pedal has been depressed is that stuck hard to the back of the seat feeling. The tipping back is gone. The same under hard braking.... people have a closer encounter with the seatbelt but are not tipped towards the windscreen.

Of all of the mods I had done at VT I would say that the no-brainer was Monroes. Athough the whole package (RICA, struts, brakes) is what transformed my car, I would say that the struts were the most important if I could only have one of the three components.

Liam

Simon
Thursday 11th May 2006, 15:05
I also fitted Goodyear Eagles to the front recently and I can't say I have noticed any difference in ride quality.

Traduk
Thursday 11th May 2006, 16:10
Simon,

It depends on what you had on before and what pressures you run them at.

I had a pair of P6000's on and had to run them at 34psi to compensate for the sidewall softness. At the same pressure Eagles are rock hard on the road and I tend to run them a couple of psi lower. I suppose another factor could be that mine are filled and reguarly topped up with Nitrogen which may have less give than air.

Liam

Simon
Thursday 11th May 2006, 16:45
I had P6000's and ran them at 34PSI as well. Pressure is pressure whatever is filling the void :confused:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/t9668-new-tyres-.html

Traduk
Thursday 11th May 2006, 17:40
Simon,

It would appear that your findings and mine are different, so be it but it is not overly relevant to the Monroe opinion which was requested and to which I responded.

BTW pressure is pressure irrespective of the void filler but there are differing coefficients of compressibility of the void fillers. Nitrogen has very different characteristics than compressed air.

Liam

JO5EPH
Thursday 11th May 2006, 18:26
wow, thanks for the big review liam! :D and thanks to everyone else, its much appreciated!

they seem to be much of a muchness then, so not a lot separates the Koni FSD's and Monroe's Reflex, apart from cost...