PDA

View Full Version : Bell housing pattern wanted

dave swift
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:13
Hi all
I ve got to like the t5 engine after 15 months of ownership.
So much so that I want to put it into another make of car.
I was wondering if anyone had an engine out of a car that they could take a pattern of the bellhousing off for me
It just needs to be in thick card, to show bolt holes and external/internal sizes etc. don t mind paying postage or if near ish to stoke on trent i ll come and do it myself.
I think the engine would go well into another car and have one in mind ( non volvo) that would benefit from a bit more bhp rather than sourcing an original hi po engine from the same brand that is stupid money and hard to find.

Thanks in advance
Dave
coupeparts@hotmail.com

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:15
Which way are you looking to mount the engine? Did you know that you can (for longditundinal mounting) bolt the RWD drive train from a 900 series Volvo. Just trying to save you a job?

Babybadger
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:21
Always said this engine should be mid-mounted on a M56H gearbox in some Ultima chassis or something. Soon someone like Jaguar or Volvo will graft 2 together and make a V10 that will blow main oil seals like they are going out of fashion.

neevo
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:43
Always said this engine should be mid-mounted on a M56H gearbox in some Ultima chassis or something. Soon someone like Jaguar or Volvo will graft 2 together and make a V10 that will blow main oil seals like they are going out of fashion.

Why not have 2 engines, one normal, the other in the back of an estate driving the rear wheels? Seen twin engines sciroccos so why not a twin engined T5?

T5ER
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:44
Why not have 2 engines, one normal, the other in the back of an estate driving the rear wheels? Seen twin engines sciroccos so why not a twin engined T5?
that would be mad but i like the thought

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:57
Not legal on the road but lots of fun!

Babybadger
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 17:04
Sounds a good idea , but as the T5 lump is front mounted it wouldn't take a lot to make it midmounted, with a M65H gearbox (as it is hydraulic) and revised linkages. Wow, 310BHP mid mounted, that's got to be fun. Could even do the awd but reverse the mounting and drive around, mid mounted awd?

dave swift
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 17:22
Its an idea i ve had after building my 20 valve turbo audi
took ages to source an engine and cost big bucks.
I was letting a mate measure the volvo engine as an option for kit cars he makes ( mid engined, radical style) and thought they were easier to get hold of than the audi unit, so i fancy a go at putting one in an audi ( as i ve got spare ones)
what is a reliable power figure from the 850/v70 t5? without changing pistons etc. we can get around 400bhp from the audi without taking it apart, if we do and change pistons then 600, 700 + bhp is possible ( with deep pockets too)

nice to know it fits a rear drive box, will they go in the 300 series volvos? i know the box is at the back, but if the bellhousing is the same? i know the 1700 turbo renault sourced ones will fit. ( i think)

Thats all for now, thanks for the nice welcome and all the ideas, see ya soon.
Dave:)

Babybadger
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 10:44
Its an idea i ve had after building my 20 valve turbo audi
took ages to source an engine and cost big bucks.
I was letting a mate measure the volvo engine as an option for kit cars he makes ( mid engined, radical style) and thought they were easier to get hold of than the audi unit, so i fancy a go at putting one in an audi ( as i ve got spare ones)
what is a reliable power figure from the 850/v70 t5? without changing pistons etc. we can get around 400bhp from the audi without taking it apart, if we do and change pistons then 600, 700 + bhp is possible ( with deep pockets too)

nice to know it fits a rear drive box, will they go in the 300 series volvos? i know the box is at the back, but if the bellhousing is the same? i know the 1700 turbo renault sourced ones will fit. ( i think)

Thats all for now, thanks for the nice welcome and all the ideas, see ya soon.
Dave:)

I think you will find the T5 lump is based on the old Audi quattro turbo engine with slight overboring, so the engine mounts will be possibly be in the same place. Would be great in the Audi Cabriolet or an A3.

If you were to mid mount one, I would suggest doubling up on the intercoolers and rads!

Don't forget there was a LSD version of the manual T5 box (850R I think or T5-R) and this would be better for mid-mounted.

Also have a look at this if you want something more meatier in a rear drive Volvo ......

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/

dave swift
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 10:50
its to possibly go in a quattro.

the volvo 5 pot engine isnt exactly same, diesel 5 was originally an audi 100 engine