PDA

View Full Version : Intake Temp Discussion

BlackBeast
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:33
Taking the 'air induction' thread on further, is there any importance in intake temperatures for cars with turbos? Once the air reaches the turbos hot side it will increase in temperature ten fold anyway.

Please discuss nicely, otherwise the mods will close the thread and i want this to be informative, not a slanging match :cop: :Handshake

Forget about standard vs induction kit vs CAI, thats for the other thread.

T5ER
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:36
i honestly dont know mate and cant answer that question

t5 stealth
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:39
i thought it was a nice discussion,
as i said b4,
cold dense air going into the cylinders is better,
you get more dense air into a cylinder than warm air,
not so important on normally aspirated engines but more air in there means better spark as fire needs air,

SaffronC70
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:41
I've got an OBD II lead and software on the way (well, my mate has, but I'm gonna pinch it) that will possibly give me this information . . .

Chris

Matt30462
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:43
A Tale Of Two Wheels
A turbocharger is basically an air pump. Hot exhaust gases leaving the engine after combustion are routed directly to the turbine wheel side of the turbocharger to make it rotate. That turbine wheel is connected by a shaft to a compressor wheel. As the turbine wheel spins faster and faster, it causes the compressor wheel to also spin quickly. The rotation of the compressor wheel pulls in ambient air and compresses it before pumping it into the engine's chambers.

As you may have guessed, the compressed air leaving the compressor wheel housing is very hot as a result of both compression and friction. So what's needed is a way to cool that air down before it enters the chambers. That's where a charge-air cooler (or "heat exchanger") comes in. It reduces the temperature of the compressed air so that it is denser when it enters the chamber (heat causes things to expand, as we all learned in science class). The charge-air cooler also helps to keep the temperature down in the combustion chamber. All together, the engine, turbocharger and charge-air cooler form what is known as a "charge-air system".

Some systems also include a tip turbine fan which draws air across the charge-air cooler to further reduce the temperature of the compressed air generated by the turbocharger.

t5 stealth
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:47
took the words out my mouth lol :)

volvotuning
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:49
Taking the 'air induction' thread on further, is there any importance in intake temperatures for cars with turbos? Once the air reaches the turbos hot side it will increase in temperature ten fold anyway.

Please discuss nicely, otherwise the mods will close the thread and i want this to be informative, not a slanging match :cop: :Handshake

Forget about standard vs induction kit vs CAI, thats for the other thread.

Charge temps can cause big power variances for several reasons -

1. Air density is affected, ie hotter = less dense.

2. The ECU will respond to charge temps and other sensor readings and compensate accordingly, including backing off the boost and overfueling for safety, thus losing power. This is particularly noticable on the dyno, but rarely happens on the road.

Sometimes when we develop software on the dyno, we turn off this ECU safety feature so that we can see how the car is performing without the ECU intervening.

Adam.

Al115
Monday 8th May 2006, 23:34
I've got an OBD II lead and software on the way (well, my mate has, but I'm gonna pinch it) that will possibly give me this information . . .

Chris

Chris - I've got a lot of this data already, shout me if you have specific questions... tried various intake setups as you know.

Alastair