PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Barrel

Liddo
Monday 8th May 2006, 20:29
Did a search but it wasnt very conclusive.
My new motor has a slightly dodgey ignition barrel. Sometimes it just spins round, and most of the time you have to turn it REALLY hard to start the car, like the springs gone or something. Is it a new barrel jobby?? Or are they fixable????

Andy
Monday 8th May 2006, 21:00
I had this same problem on my S70.

You will find that the key actually goes right through the barrell into a little box of tricks (the electrics) which is then turned to start the motor.

I changed this little box of tricks - can't remember the name of it but it seemed to fix the problem.

The lad I sold the car to is now reporting that the whole barrell needed replacing shortly after he bought it.

I'd advise you to do it the right way 1st time round.

HTH

Liddo
Monday 8th May 2006, 21:16
DOH :slap: Cheers Andy

Rufe
Monday 8th May 2006, 23:10
your on about the starter switch andy.

it could be that, but could be the lock itself, which will be about £135 from the dealer, just to warn you

TwistedSanity
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 06:57
the switch behind the barrel is about £50 from a main dealer, mine was pickled, very easy job to do, about 4 screws i think

Liddo
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 08:12
the switch behind the barrel is about £50 from a main dealer, mine was pickled, very easy job to do, about 4 screws i think

Hmmmm, how did it feel Twisted??? I put the key in, it turns ok and all the lights come on, but it's when its going into the start position, it just sort stops dead, and Ive gotta REALLY turn it a touch to start the car.
Sound familiar?????

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 09:52
I have a complete steering column I need to get rid of (from the C70). I have the key for it still. You can have the lot for £30?

Liddo
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 09:57
I have a complete steering column I need to get rid of (from the C70). I have the key for it still. You can have the lot for £30?

DOH! Do I have to have two serperate keys then???? Wonder if the barrel splits from the other bits and bobs :shifty:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 10:15
Depends what you want to do with it? All I am saying is that for 30 quid (plus P&P) you can have the lot.

Liddo
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:19
Depends what you want to do with it? All I am saying is that for 30 quid (plus P&P) you can have the lot.

Cheers Dave, I'll keep ya posted :B_thumb:

T5ER
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:34
liddo the reg number is not coming up on the volvo system ??? any ideas mate

Liddo
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:38
liddo the reg number is not coming up on the volvo system ??? any ideas mate

DOH! It should do! Its been serviced at a Volvo Dealers down south :shifty:

I'll check the PM I sent you

Rbphot
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 11:45
Hi lido, I had the same problem with my V70R, I had to change out the barrel,

Cost £125 (parts only)from a dealer as you can only get a new one by producing your V10 as the barrels and keys are coded to your alarm system, volvo keep all the security details on record.

Changing it is a bit of a pig, as break off bolts are used to secure the the barrel and housing which is all one part, I drilled mine off took about 3 hours, I think they use special tools too remove it, get a independant or dealer to do it, unless you have the tools.

Ray

Liddo
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 12:33
Hi lido, I had the same problem with my V70R, I had to change out the barrel,

Cost £125 (parts only)from a dealer as you can only get a new one by producing your V10 as the barrels and keys are coded to your alarm system, volvo keep all the security details on record.

Changing it is a bit of a pig, as break off bolts are used to secure the the barrel and housing which is all one part, I drilled mine off took about 3 hours, I think they use special tools too remove it, get a independant or dealer to do it, unless you have the tools.

Ray

Cheers Ray, I think I'll be leaving it for now, until it packs in all together!!! It's just more annoying that anything

Cheers

Paul