PDA

View Full Version : Remote lock/unlock problem

neevo
Monday 8th May 2006, 09:47
Just started this morning, the keyfob doesn't operate the remote locking yet it still switches the immobiliser/alarm on and off. If I hit he button the indicators flash a couple of times.

Got in this morning using the key and it wouldn't start until I hit the button on the keyfob.

Any ideas as to tests I can do to ascertain where the problem lies? The keyfob is reasonably new (3 months) so I'm presuming it's not a battery issue and esp. as the alarm/immobiliser works.

Thanks

Forgot to say it's a 1996 P reg 850 saloon and I've opened & slammed each door just to see if it was an open contact though not had time to do much else.

neevo
Monday 8th May 2006, 15:35
Thought I'd disconnect the battery for half-an-hour to see if that would make a difference. Approached the car and hit the button to turn off the alarm and all teh doors unlocked?!? Must have been a bit of damp somewhere which has dried out in the sunny weather we are having up here.

T5ER
Monday 8th May 2006, 15:54
Thought I'd disconnect the battery for half-an-hour to see if that would make a difference. Approached the car and hit the button to turn off the alarm and all teh doors unlocked?!? Must have been a bit of damp somewhere which has dried out in the sunny weather we are having up here.

dont come down here then mate or you will have the same problem again its raining cats and dogs and there are big poodles everywere i hate the rain

neevo
Monday 8th May 2006, 16:03
Ha Ha, we had heavy rain yesterday. Can't think of any other reason it suddenly started working, other than that I may have used the correct cuss words at it. (3x f**ing £££££ and 2x *rs*h*l* in case anyone needs this for reference)

Babybadger
Monday 8th May 2006, 16:46
Just started this morning, the keyfob doesn't operate the remote locking yet it still switches the immobiliser/alarm on and off. If I hit he button the indicators flash a couple of times.

Got in this morning using the key and it wouldn't start until I hit the button on the keyfob.

Any ideas as to tests I can do to ascertain where the problem lies? The keyfob is reasonably new (3 months) so I'm presuming it's not a battery issue and esp. as the alarm/immobiliser works.

Thanks

Forgot to say it's a 1996 P reg 850 saloon and I've opened & slammed each door just to see if it was an open contact though not had time to do much else.

Change the battery anyway, just as a precaution. You don't know how long that fob was on the spares shelf. The alarm and immobiliser will still work, just you will have to be closer and probably operate the button a couple of times to make it work.

It could also do with some lithium grease on all door locks, esp. the boot lock. Then open and close about 5-10 times should make a difference.

neevo
Monday 8th May 2006, 17:00
Cheers badger, will nip to Maplin at the weekend and get some of that grease and lube up the locks. I suspected the battery initially and was horrified to see that they are nothing like a standard battery, will need to find a jewellers nearby. I keep the keep the keys in my pocket and am really grateful for the autolock facility if you dont get into the car after a couple of mins after unlocking it, the number of times I've walked to the car and seen it open only to have it lock again as I chat to workmates at the end of the day. It's the sort of thinking that has me sussed, that and pencil erasers and the backspace button.

Babybadger
Monday 8th May 2006, 17:05
Cheers badger, will nip to Maplin at the weekend and get some of that grease and lube up the locks. I suspected the battery initially and was horrified to see that they are nothing like a standard battery, will need to find a jewellers nearby. I keep the keep the keys in my pocket and am really grateful for the autolock facility if you dont get into the car after a couple of mins after unlocking it, the number of times I've walked to the car and seen it open only to have it lock again as I chat to workmates at the end of the day. It's the sort of thinking that has me sussed, that and pencil erasers and the backspace button.

Maplin's will have the battery as well, check the sell by date.