PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 850 T5

Matt
Sunday 7th May 2006, 16:23
Hello.
I am thinking of buying a 850 T5 Estate. Ive got about £2000 to spend.
Could any one tell what I need to look at and check before purchasing.
Thanks for your help.
M

T5ER
Sunday 7th May 2006, 18:30
Hi mate right there is the obvious things like bodywork service history tyres and so on other things are when you go and look at one make sure its cold when you first come to start it if it is get the seller to start it while you stand at the back to check for any blue smoke,check to make sure the lights all work on the dash and the abs light goes out as it should,if you can check the under neath look at the exhaust/cv boots and steering rack boots,then go for a test drive if you are going for a 850 make sure when you give it some that the boost gauge in the dash goes about 3/4 into the white give it a couple of good blips on the throttle when driving(goto about 6000 rpm) then take your foot of the gas give it a couple of seconds or so then give it gas again look in the mirrors for smoke!!!!.After the test drive try to leave it ticking over for about 5 mins and then blip the gas again for smoke.No doubt i have missed something and someone will probably help out with some more info

Regards
Wayne

Matt
Monday 8th May 2006, 00:17
Cheers mate. I have noted it all!!

NugentS
Monday 8th May 2006, 08:19
Does the aircon work?
Rear oil main seal - is it leaking

Sean

spencem875
Monday 8th May 2006, 11:03
What T5ER said, and yeh check the air con.

Babybadger
Monday 8th May 2006, 12:29
Just before you worry all cars emit a lot of steam from cold until the cat has warmed up, esp on damp mornings etc. Any blue smoke = oil and ultimately turbo (if excessive) or valve stems(if slight at startup and tickover), any brown smoke = bad fuel/air mixture. Any steam is perfectly healthy, but this should reduce as soon as you move off.

Check under bonnet as well, oil on top of the oil filler area is fine (just a gasket in the oil filler cap) and the o ring on dipstick are common but dirt cheap fixes. Look around the dizzy for oil (not fatal or worrying) and check all hoses.

Do you want Auto or Manual?

Matt
Monday 8th May 2006, 15:26
Thank you very much. Im on the case!

Matt
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 10:32
I really wanted a manual!

spencem875
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 10:34
I really wanted a manual!

Auto is so yummy tho :007:

Matt
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 12:00
Is there much difference in MPG, how reliable is the auto box?

Murphy
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 12:03
Is there much difference in MPG, how reliable is the auto box?

I had an 855 T5 auto, i did a lot of inner city work. Averaged 18 mpg. On a holiday to France (1500 mile return) it went up to 24 mpg [a/c on all the way]. The manual averages 24 mpg, so yes the auto takes more fuel. I think a gearbox will last 150+k depending on use.

Rick448
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 12:45
If i drive my Rica'd manual fairly quickly around the twisties i average about 17 mpg. I drove it today in grandad mode as i had to put normal UL in as an emergency. At legal speeds on coutry roads i got 28mpg. If economy is an issue i wouldn't look at buying a T5.

spencem875
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 16:07
Mine does 21.3 mpg and i often toe it up the M1 from jct 4 to 8 approx 15 miles. I also take the scenic route some days but it pretty much never moves. Mine is also on 168k and (touchwood) gearbox seems fine, although after the turbo going on me last week im gonna start a "new gearbox fund".