PDA

View Full Version : Brake Juddering

NugentS
Saturday 6th May 2006, 21:19
Anyone got any ideas on this one...

When braking I get vibration and juddering through the steering wheel. If I change the discs and pads the juddering goes away for a while but comes back again over a period of a couple of months and gradually gets worse until I have to change them again (not I might add due to wear - the discs are hardly worn).

I have tried a variety of dics and pads - all are effected the same way (I think I am on my 4th set of discs.

Its getting / got silly

Sean

Andy
Saturday 6th May 2006, 21:29
Have you been replacing the fronts only?

Tomcat
Saturday 6th May 2006, 21:32
Whats it like when your not on the brakes?, do you get any steering wonder or steering wheel shake?, Might be worth getting the front suspension checked to make sure you've not got a knackered bush or trackrod end etc. You could also check the wheel bearings too.

blackbooty
Saturday 6th May 2006, 21:32
thats a bizzare one mate , spesh as new discs get rid of it.
does the new combo compleatly rid it of any shake or just lessen it?
when you take the pads out are they worn exactly the same amount ?

Andy
Saturday 6th May 2006, 21:33
Also further to the above... do the brakes judder on every application or just under certain load e.g. from 70 - 0

iGGy
Saturday 6th May 2006, 22:52
I had judder with my old brakes. Everything checked out fine with them but the braking would vary from a mild push-pull sort of feel to steering wheel vibrations under sustained heavy braking. I knew my bottom control arms had pretty worn ball joints and should've changed them instead of replacing the bushes. I decided to replace the arms because I knew they were shot and now I have no judder.

If you've been through four sets of discs, then it's got to be something else.

pzorb
Saturday 6th May 2006, 23:05
One of the things that keeps the disk flush with the hub is the wheel nuts. It is possible that if the nuts are not evenly tightened then under stress a slight wobble can occur. I noticed this when installing new disks and pads. Try loosening all the nuts and doing them up in a diagnoal pattern using the same force each time (I find that stepping on the volvo supplied wrench until it resists further motion is pretty consistent; not jumping on it). If the problem still happens then you know can dismiss this as the cause. It'll only take you 10 mins tops to find out, and of course it's free.

NugentS
Sunday 7th May 2006, 08:26
Have you been replacing the fronts only?

Yes - the juddering feels as though its coming from the front.

Sean

NugentS
Sunday 7th May 2006, 08:27
Whats it like when your not on the brakes?, do you get any steering wonder or steering wheel shake?, Might be worth getting the front suspension checked to make sure you've not got a knackered bush or trackrod end etc. You could also check the wheel bearings too.

No wander and no shake.
The tracking has just been checked - its fine
Wheels rebalanced as well - just for the hell of it

Sean

NugentS
Sunday 7th May 2006, 08:28
thats a bizzare one mate , spesh as new discs get rid of it.
does the new combo compleatly rid it of any shake or just lessen it?
when you take the pads out are they worn exactly the same amount ?

New discs are completely fine - for a few months. And its no difference using expensive or cheap discs (I have tried both). Pads seem to be wearing fine

Sean

NugentS
Sunday 7th May 2006, 08:31
I had judder with my old brakes. Everything checked out fine with them but the braking would vary from a mild push-pull sort of feel to steering wheel vibrations under sustained heavy braking. I knew my bottom control arms had pretty worn ball joints and should've changed them instead of replacing the bushes. I decided to replace the arms because I knew they were shot and now I have no judder.

If you've been through four sets of discs, then it's got to be something else.

The car had done 104K miles on the same suspension (with the exception of shocks that have been replaced)

I think - new arms possibly/ball joints (no real idea what you are talking about - but my mechanic will) and a set of power flex bushes that I just happen to have sitting around doing nothing.

Sean

NugentS
Sunday 7th May 2006, 08:31
One of the things that keeps the disk flush with the hub is the wheel nuts. It is possible that if the nuts are not evenly tightened then under stress a slight wobble can occur. I noticed this when installing new disks and pads. Try loosening all the nuts and doing them up in a diagnoal pattern using the same force each time (I find that stepping on the volvo supplied wrench until it resists further motion is pretty consistent; not jumping on it). If the problem still happens then you know can dismiss this as the cause. It'll only take you 10 mins tops to find out, and of course it's free.

Tried that - doesn't seem to help.

:-(

I like free too!!!

Sean

T5SLAVE
Sunday 7th May 2006, 09:50
At this moment in time Id go with pzorb's suggestion Nugent...

T5SLAVE
Sunday 7th May 2006, 09:51
Maybe not...LOL!

elliot
Sunday 7th May 2006, 10:23
I am going to say tired wheel bearings.

NugentS
Sunday 7th May 2006, 19:05
I am going to say tired wheel bearings.

Possible - one is original, the other (nearside) has been replaced 30-40K ago...

Sean

blackbooty
Monday 8th May 2006, 03:09
its wierd how new discs and pads solve the prob for a couple of months.
lots of worn bits that could give you wobble/judder would happen new discs or not.

callipers not tightend correctly ? maybe new discs/pads hold loose caliper steady, as they wear they allow caliper to shake ???

are the caliper pistons badly pitted or seals in poor condition causing the pads to stay in contact with the disc (heat, warping) ?

try getting your old discs checked for run-out.

Jod T5
Monday 8th May 2006, 08:36
i would definately look at the caliper internal seals. What you driving and have you had a bigger disc fitted??
presuming ever time you changed the pads you pushed the caliper pistons back may be the reason why you have no problems initially
cheers
jod

NugentS
Monday 8th May 2006, 21:14
i would definately look at the caliper internal seals. What you driving and have you had a bigger disc fitted??
presuming ever time you changed the pads you pushed the caliper pistons back may be the reason why you have no problems initially
cheers
jod

Driving an S70 2.5T but with 302mm discs

I don't fit the discs / pads - my mechanic does. However I am a nosey sod so I generally take the day off when the car is being serviced and hang around / get underfoot. I work part time for the garage - looking after the computers so I don't get charged much. I believe the guys doing the work are competant

Sean

Jod T5
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 08:04
Driving an S70 2.5T but with 302mm discs

I don't fit the discs / pads - my mechanic does. However I am a nosey sod so I generally take the day off when the car is being serviced and hang around / get underfoot. I work part time for the garage - looking after the computers so I don't get charged much. I believe the guys doing the work are competant

Sean

the way im thinking sean is that when the pads are replaced the pistons are pushed back into the caliper, as the pad wears the pistons come out...., it could be that when one piston comes out to a certain point it may be sticking cos the seals may be ££££ed and as such will cause a vibration similar to a warped disc. I find it very difficult to beleive that you could have two sets of warped discs in a row......not being too up on the s70 im not too sure if you needed to modify the caliper using a hanger extension i would check this has been correctly fitted and is nice and secure....failing that......im not sure im sorry to say
good luck
jod

Straker
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 12:42
All the basics first, bushes, ball joints and bearings. I had a bad vibration on mine but it was a cracked disk so easily fixed. Have the caliper giue pins been serviced. Perhaps these are sticking. it sounds just like a cracked disk but as you said you have replaced everything?:confused: