PDA

View Full Version : Help with high level brake light conversion

Tomcat
Saturday 6th May 2006, 20:21
Can anybody tell me if there is a way of getting around replacing the standard high level brake light with an LED one, without triggering the bulb warning light. I know that its possible to hide a normal bulb some where to stop this, however I was wondering what they did on the Ph1 V70's to get around this. I presume that the wiring will be very similar to an 850 so have they put something into the loom to stop the Bulb warning light from being triggered?. I'm enquiring because a friend of mine wants to fit a V70 tailgate onto his 850.

fraz13
Sunday 7th May 2006, 11:57
Some lights dont trigger the bulb failure light like front and rear fogs and I'm sure the high lever brake light will be the same meaning you could change it to anything you like....

Tomcat
Sunday 7th May 2006, 12:54
Cheers Fraz, I'll tell him to give it a try first, if he whips out the brake light bulb and the light doesnt come on then he's laughing.

Waxworks
Monday 8th May 2006, 08:19
If you remove the third brakelight then the bulb failure light will come on every time you brake.
Volvo do sell a module to get round this but i'm sure it was expensive for what it is.
I presume the module just plugs into the connectors where the third brake light was.
Hope this helps TC

Jod T5
Monday 8th May 2006, 08:48
If you remove the third brakelight then the bulb failure light will come on every time you brake.

:stupid:

JackT5
Monday 8th May 2006, 19:35
Are the V70 high level lights led? I thought they were small bulbs like on the 850 boot spoiler brake light.

Tomcat
Monday 8th May 2006, 20:19
Volvo do sell a module to get round this but i'm sure it was expensive for what it is.
I presume the module just plugs into the connectors where the third brake light was.
Hope this helps TC

Cheers for that, its what I thought, I just have to find out what its called and how much it is now. Although it'll be cheaper than a bulb it makes more sense than hiding a bulb somewhere.

Tomcat
Saturday 9th August 2008, 18:56
Oh, way to dig up an old thread.

I got around to converting the brake light on my own car today to an LED one, lo and behold the bulb warning light has come on. Does anyone know where this module is located on a V70 so I can aquire one?.

SAMXPJ
Monday 11th August 2008, 23:53
Place a resistor across the two incoming wires to the bulb socket to a value which will still allow the led's to operate ie say 5v but make sure the wattage of the resistor is such that is does'nt get to hot.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 08:02
Hi tomcat I've converted mine to the high level LED one. The bulb failure module on the 850 is located in the boot, under the left pocket cover by the trailer wiring connector (under the black plastic cover). I dunno if its the same on a V70, I guess it might be.

I've left mine for now, as the bulbfailure light only comes on when I brake, and it actually did me a favour as my brake pedal switch failed and I wouldn't have known if the bulb light didn't light up every time I braked (I fixed the switch myself, just took it apart and cleaned the contacts easy!)

Tomcat
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 17:39
Cheers, I thought that's where it was I just wanted someone else to say it first,lol. Not sure if I can just leave it as it's niggling me everytime it flashes up.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 23:30
I still need to get the upper trim for the tailgate (as I dremelled the 850 one to fit LOL) and the trim cover for where the light used to be (over the wiper arm bit).

I'm waitin for a v70 to be in my local friendly scrapyard.

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 00:02
I actualy have a V70 tailgate, sprayed in the right colour(by me) but just couldn't get around to fitting it. So, in the end I just retro fitted the brake light onto my 850's tailgate, I already had the trims needed.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 00:09
It looks so much better than the lower level brake light (it looked like a 940 with the brakes on).

I was wondering what the rear light would look like with the very top parts used as brake lights too? Anyone ever done this?

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 00:14
Pretty sure you can't as there's no bulb holders there to use. Even if you could wouldn't three brake lights per side plus the high level be a bit over kill?.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 00:25
Nah, you can never have too many brake lights

siamblue
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 01:34
I wonder if the module on the V70 is different to the 850? thats why it doesn't trigger the light failure or would it ?
I have a spare module or 2 here,
Bomb what colour is your trim?

Gary.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:04
Its grey (well, dark grey) hang on, I've got a pic....

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/tailgate/mom.jpg

Sorry about the person in the way LOL

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:12
I would imagine it is the unit thats different Gaz, how much you wanting for one?.

snoop69
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 23:44
I was wondering what the rear light would look like with the very top parts used as brake lights too? Anyone ever done this?

I was actually talking to Niles about this the other day.

Instead of using them as brake lights,i would make them tail lights
instead.

I think that would be pretty cool.

Anybody know if i would into any warning light problems with extra
bulbs fitted?

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 14th August 2008, 23:26
Dunno mate, best thing to do is to hook up a couple of extra bulbs into the circuit to test.

If you used LEDs then I don't think it would set the system off as they don't draw much.

cameron
Thursday 14th August 2008, 23:34
Right Guys i know this might seem a bit lazy but...........my good lady bought me one of those diy LED High level brake lights for my b'day, not being the greatest with leccy things i took the cover off the top of the 3rd brake light and wired it into it, run the cable around the inside of the tailgate trim and positioned it about 6 inches under the rear spoiler, it looks ok , if anybody comes up with an idea on how to lose the 3rd brake light without losing the led then im all ears.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 15th August 2008, 00:25
I've done it mate, so has TC. All you have to do is remove the 3rd brakelight and keep the high level connected. Then get a trim piece off a V70 to cover where the 3rd light used to be.

The bulb failure lamp might come on, but you either need to put a resistor inline with the LEDs, or get a module from a V70 (which is located under the left hand side pocket)