PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

Tomcat
Friday 5th May 2006, 17:50
Has anybody had experience with or heard of problems with the clutch master cylinder on an 850?. Since I started driving the new car I've noticed the clutch seems a bit.....crap. Whils't driving today I was struggling to get it into gear and just by chance put my foot under the pedal, I managed to lift the pedal back up to where it should be and I can now change gear. I also noticed that its using a little brake fluid, seeing as the clutch is supplied from the brake resovoir is it possible for the master cylinder to leak?. If it is how easy is it to change?.

iGGy
Friday 5th May 2006, 18:30
Certainly there's the potential to have a leak associated with hydraulic line and the seals within the cylinder itself. The cylinder is mounted close to the starter motor and 'potentially' doesn't look that difficult to get at.

Jod T5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 09:30
check the section under the battery tray, thats were mine went, 6 quid part too, cheaper than m/c repair or new slave!!
cheers
jod

rick
Monday 15th May 2006, 18:44
from what you describe i would say you have a u/s master cylinder , the return spring inside the cylinder can break and is therefor not long enough to push back the piston ..................result piston stops short of full travel , and you dont get full travel when you press your clutch , its like pressing it half way down , hope this helps

Tomcat
Monday 15th May 2006, 18:57
I replaced the Slave clyinder the other day, after a proper inspection I found fluid all over the front cross member. Having changed it theres a bit of difference but not enough, now wondering where else to go...

rick
Monday 15th May 2006, 19:19
I replaced the Slave clyinder the other day, after a proper inspection I found fluid all over the front cross member. Having changed it theres a bit of difference but not enough, now wondering where else to go...if it was me i would definatley look at changing the master cylinder i`ve had this problem a number of times on heavy commercials , same set up (hydraulic) but of course much beefier :)