PDA

View Full Version : few questions

DONKEYT5
Friday 5th May 2006, 15:52
Ok, i have been out of the volvo game for a short while, and after begging for forgivness, i have been allowed back in to the mix!
I have an 02 plate v70 and was wondering what basic mods i can do to start with? I know about the rica, and the stage 0, but was wondering whether i can do anythin like with the older engines, (drilled airbox, dv's etc)
Also, is it worth me gettin a poly bush mount, or do I have to have somethin different due to the upper engine mount being the strut type???

This might seem like a dumb a** question also, but does an s60 bumper/nose fit on a v70, because i personally prefer the spotlights/sportier look of the s60 front end.
ta in advance,
Don

volvotuning
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:02
I know about the rica, and the stage 0, but was wondering whether i can do anythin like with the older engines, (drilled airbox, dv's etc)

Don

In a word, no. The ECU will have a bit of a benny at you if you do things like that as it's very sensitive to air leaks etc. Most problems with such things occur at part throttle where the ECU is trying to keep the car within emissions.

Adam.

S40xs
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:08
Welcome back fella!

Can't resist sorry.....
:worthless

BlackBeast
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:39
In a word, no. The ECU will have a bit of a benny at you if you do things like that as it's very sensitive to air leaks etc. Most problems with such things occur at part throttle where the ECU is trying to keep the car within emissions.

Adam.

Adam, how can a drilled airbox be an airleak? Im not saying a drilled airbox is good, quite the opposite in fact. or were you referring to the dump valve?

volvotuning
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:45
Adam, how can a drilled airbox be an airleak? Im not saying a drilled airbox is good, quite the opposite in fact. or were you referring to the dump valve?

Was refering to the dump valve.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:52
I suppose Don could fit a recirculating dump valve and depending on induction mods he could hear a slight flutter when releasing the gas pedal.

volvotuning
Friday 5th May 2006, 17:02
Replace a perfectly good recirculating dump valve with another recirculating dump valve? You can do, but it's a bit pointless IMHO, especially since you can get a much louder dump noise after remapping without spending extra money on a dump valve.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Friday 5th May 2006, 17:09
Replace a perfectly good recirculating dump valve with another recirculating dump valve? You can do, but it's a bit pointless IMHO, especially since you can get a much louder dump noise after remapping without spending extra money on a dump valve.

Adam.

God damn it, sorry was getting confused with the Fiat Coupe, the diaphram on their recirc degrades over time.

volvotuning
Friday 5th May 2006, 18:12
God damn it, sorry was getting confused with the Fiat Coupe, the diaphram on their recirc degrades over time.

The Volvo ones normally last as long as the turbo itself. When they do fail, the diaphragm normally splits so you get sudden failure rather than slow degredation.

Adam.

DONKEYT5
Friday 5th May 2006, 18:14
thanx for your help guys, much appreciated! i have also noticed the power delivery is much smoother, will this become more 'raw' after the rica upgrade?
my last t5 had the rica 310, so i know how the power felt on that!(lots of torque steer)!
ta!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:34
Welcome home Don!

ME7 car? Pure class mate. These engines aren't as raw but once you have a remap and maybe an exhaust? - I am sure you will get as much fun outa yer new one. They tend to be less torque steery - in my experience - just coz of the way that the power is delivered (SMOOOOOOOOOOTH with a capital smooo)

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:38
its great to be back dave! Your right about the smoothness of it, I thought it wasnt as quick, until i looked down at the speedo, and i was doin 90 in 3rd!!!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:43
I know exactly what you mean - it is far more deceptive but the results speak for themselves. My new silver one did 242bhp at the wheels - on just optimax and ITG alone (stock software). Smooth and swift!

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/silver_c70_t5_out_at_night.htm

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:46
wow, thats awesome,id better get me an itg then!!! how come standard bhp has raised from 240 bhp(approx) to 250 bhp (approx) yet both are me7 engines?? whats the difference?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:49
I think (dont quote me) the difference is purely in the stock map. I believe as mine is technically MY2000 that the output was 250bhp (crank).

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:51
at the risk of sounding stupid, whats my2000??

t5owner
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:54
at the risk of sounding stupid, whats my2000??

MY is Manufactured Year and the numbers relate to which year i think
So wobblys is MY2000 a year 2000 made car

Mine would be MY1997 as its a P1 V70 made in 1997

At least i think thats how it goes unless someone else knows better

Cheers

stuart

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:00
so mine is my2002 as its an 02 plate?
seems simple enough, thanx for that!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:05
MY is actually more to do with editions/minor changes - so although my car was registered in 1999 I have the updates for the following year. (or I could be completely wrong)

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:07
so are you still driving your black c70?? thats the last car i saw you driving in the meet in yorkshire. that was very tasty!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:23
Errrmm - Shall I tell him or do you lot wanna? :hidesbehi:

Lets just say that the nickname "Wing commander Wobbly" was coined last Nov

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:24
tell me! please!

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:25
just seen the piccys outside the bullring!!
veeeeeeeeeery nice indeed!!
i thought u were parked inside the wheel section of halfords at first then realised it was the bullring!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:26
Well I guess you'd find out sooner or later.

Lets just say I was very stupid and have learned my lesson....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5941

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:30
im so sorry to hear of your misfortune, and im glad you are ok!!!
every cloud etc.........

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:31
Onwards and upwards (not literally). Y'see you go away and you miss all the juicy bits.

DONKEYT5
Saturday 6th May 2006, 19:39
well i have had some random choices of cars, i had a p plate golf vr6, utter rubbish, never again, then i tried the sensible option, a 1.9 diesel laguna. I recently moved to a beautiful house with some space out front to tinker, and my little girl is walkin now (at 10 months old) and it wont be long till she is askin questions, so i decided my life wasnt quite complete and bought another ovlov!!!
before my girl is two, she will be able to do an oil change!!
We have even bought her a forward facing soft leather recaro child seat!!
its awesome, and it looks good inside the volvo

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 22:40
Smashin'! Should like to see some pics if you get the chance.

DONKEYT5
Sunday 7th May 2006, 00:02
i will clean her 2moro, and take some! the standard wheels arnt meant to be graphite colour(brake dust)!!

pyrotechnictigger
Wednesday 10th May 2006, 01:14
Well DON, have you got your foot out of your mouth yet? Read throught these posts thinking "no, dont ask him THAT question!"

:)