PDA

View Full Version : Another ETM question ....

st1t5
Thursday 4th May 2006, 18:25
Iv seen C70 i like but the owners is being honest and says that on its last service the idle was noted as being irratic and soon may need the ETM looked at ....... apart from that the car looks to be perfect, just what im looking for,

my question is, is the ETM a really expensive job to sort out ?????

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 18:28
Iv seen C70 i like but the owners is being honest and says that on its last service the idle was noted as being irratic and soon may need the ETM looked at ....... apart from that the car looks to be perfect, just what im looking for,

my question is, is the ETM a really expensive job to sort out ?????

Genuine part is around the £375 ish mark ask on here or try salvo

Rufe
Thursday 4th May 2006, 18:52
try cleaning it out first, and reprogramming it, before spending out on the new unit

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 18:55
try cleaning it out first, and reprogramming it, before spending out on the new unit

i would as i would not pay out that much money

c70mel
Thursday 4th May 2006, 20:41
Ive heard its about £600 to replace the ETM... if its only £300 odd for the ETM i suppose the rest of the cost is the programming done by the good old value volvo dealers?

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:10
Ive heard its about £600 to replace the ETM... if its only £300 odd for the ETM i suppose the rest of the cost is the programming done by the good old value volvo dealers?

£375 for the part think they quote hour and half for fitting and then 30 mins for progamming then v.a.t on top of all that.Take into account most main stealers charge £75 upwards + v.a.t labour

st1t5
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:38
mmmm ...... scary :(

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:40
very got one in the workshop tomorrow for new ecm

st1t5
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:44
I suppouse looking on the positive side ...... once its done then you dont need to be worrying about it .......

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 21:47
I suppouse looking on the positive side ...... once its done then you dont need to be worrying about it .......

for 12 months at least soz just thinking of the warranty side as it expires after 12 months on the part itself

st1t5
Thursday 4th May 2006, 22:09
it better last longer than 12 months .... lol :)

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 22:12
it better last longer than 12 months .... lol :)

of course it will mate unless you do in excess of 150,000 miles in the year which i doubt you will as i struggled to do 100,000 miles a year when i did the recovery work as i did work 7 days a week and delivered any were in the uk

Rufe
Thursday 4th May 2006, 22:24
got to be honest though, once you have changed them the chances of having to have another are quite small, most of the ones we have done have not been back again. there was a time we were doing these very often, like a couple a day at one point, now we do perhaps one a month if that.

has any one on here had multiple ETM failures?

T5ER
Thursday 4th May 2006, 22:28
got to be honest though, once you have changed them the chances of having to have another are quite small, most of the ones we have done have not been back again. there was a time we were doing these very often, like a couple a day at one point, now we do perhaps one a month if that.

i have been told that to mate but i have only been at volvo for 9 weeks but they said they had done a fair few in the past

Wobbly Dave
Friday 5th May 2006, 08:42
There is nothing to clean - the problem lies in the potentiometers at either end of the unit. The contact surface wears away to the point where the electical resistance becomes irratic and thus the ECU can no longer tell the position of the butterfly valve.

Al115
Friday 5th May 2006, 08:44

Yes, ME!!! :)

Second one failed about 12k after the first replacement was fitted. I was really pleased...

Wobbly Dave
Friday 5th May 2006, 08:48
Mine has failed by 56K. You should also replace the pedal sensor switch at the same time. VT can and did the whole thing for me inc. the reflash.
Wayne is correct about the price of the new ETM. I would not advice this as a DIY job. For a kick off - getting the unit off is a real pain/nightmare. The reflash has to be done, by someone with the knowledge/software.

Symptoms: intermittent rough idle, no power, car goes into limp home mode. Can bring on the Engine Management and/or ETS light, but sometimes does not. Will sometimes correct itself after cycling the ignition, but re-occurs soon.

For me it was once every 20 miles or so - until it wouldnt reset at all.

Total repair bill - between 600 and 750 depending on labour rates.

st1t5
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:07
Thanks for the info lads ... much appriciated ;)

At least its a bargaining tool in my favour i guess ... lol

So who's better to do the job, Volvo or VT ?

Im away back to work on Monday for 2 weeks so im really praying that the car is not sold to somebody else by the time i get back ........ this is just the complete spec iv been waiting for .... iv been sitting at home for 2 weeks and just before im due to go back to work the car iv been waiting for turns up ...... lol :)

volvotuning
Friday 5th May 2006, 16:19
Thanks for the info lads ... much appriciated ;)

At least its a bargaining tool in my favour i guess ... lol

So who's better to do the job, Volvo or VT ?

We are generally better value for this because our price includes a pedal change too. But from a purely technical aspect, we can do exactly the same as Volvo, ie replace the ETM, reprogram it (if required), and change the pedal assembly.

Adam.

Rufe
Friday 5th May 2006, 18:23
fair enough if you cant clean them then.... thats my automatic response with the vauxhall side of things, bad idle would typically be a case of requiring carb cleaner in the idle valve lol

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th May 2006, 18:21
I wish it was that simple, Rufe.

ammo1981
Monday 8th May 2006, 20:24
I had mine done about 2 months ago. Total cost £550.

st1t5
Monday 8th May 2006, 22:31
Was that a dealer or VT ?

T5ER
Tuesday 9th May 2006, 00:16
sounds like stealer prices